Wooop, Woop, Woop, I get to get my Gus's on!

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Been in the Carolinas and coastal Georgia all week but with all the weirdness in Charlotte we didn't venture out much (Allen & sons was safe & good:thumb:) Home for a dog show this weekend then back on the road next week to Memphis via Dothan, Montgomery & Birmingham. Will most certainly hit Cozy Corner and Gus's but I'm open to other suggestions.

Last edited:
Birmingham is a great city for food. Let me know what you will be looking for and can throw out suggestions. Saw's bbq or Saqw's Soul Kitchen are great bbq as well as Bob Sykes in Bessemer. Chris Hastings has a new all wood fired restaurant called Ovenbird.

Gus' opened in Los Angeles and it is very similar to the one in Memphis. Love that place!

I'll be driving up to Memphis tomorrow via the Alabama route. My wife has work in downtown Memphis (we will be at the Peabody) and our dinners are pretty much scheduled with clients but I get lunch on my own. I'll plan on hitting Gus' and hopefully Cozy Corner, maybe Melissa Cooktson's Memphis BBQ Company. Anything else I should go out of my way for?

It's been years since I was there but when I went I liked Central BBQ on Central Ave. I've been told not to try the other location(s).

IMO, avoid Rendezvous, and Interstate.

Home from Memphiis and just thought I would close this out in case anybody comes across the thread while searching the forums.

Gus's - if you like spicey fried chicken this is good as it gets! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Cozy Corner - very good ribs :thumb:

South of Beale (gastropub) - thought I had a really good burger, but read on :thumb:

Tops BBQ - surprised me, had a tasty pork sandwich :thumb:

Tried Rendezvous - overpriced & meh BBQ :mmph:

BassPro Pyramid - SLEEPER! Outstanding burger at the Lookout, top of the 300 ft tall pyramid, great view of Memphis, the river and western landscape. And a full bar :whoo: :whoo: :whoo:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I dun tole ya ta skip this one.:doh: :biggrin1:

You did and I'm here to tell you you were right. Got roped into a group dinner for my wife's work and didn't know where we were going until the limo pulled up to the front door. Sucked it up and tried thr ribs, mushy & well, meh. A couple of brits in the group asked my wife if this was real American BBQ to which she responded it was OK but she was spoiled because her hubby (me) and a bunch of his (my) friends were really into BBQ so she was used to better.

Yeah, I've been there more than once with crowds who just have eat there or try it or whatever reason. If ya think the ribs are bad don't ever try the pork loin.

Good Ribs

Think it is still open....Jacks Rib Shack on Summer Ave. next to the billiard parlor. tasty tender ribs...sauce is so so..dry rub is really good.

Back