Hey Andrew,

I deboned them towards the very end of the cook. A little bit of care and they slide right out with still plenty of tug to not fall apart since I hung it back in the PBC deboned with the sauce on to sit.

Nice! Yet another Sako technique I need to try. Dude I'm getting back logged with Sako techniques I need to try....:wacko:

Welcome Vammy! You will definitely enjoy your PBC. Nice to see a fellow Okie here too :mrgreen:. We all look forward to seeing what you can do with your PBC when you start cooking.
Glad you are enjoying the thread! Lots of amazing cooks here!

Thank you sir! I'm looking forward to it; went to Sam's yesterday and perused the meat section...found all kinds of stuff I want to put in the PBC! Can't wait wait, and I'll be sure to post up my first cook (with pr0n :grin:) and get into the fray!

Cheers
Vam

Welcome Vammy. Looking forward to the pron!

Thank you sir, and just as you folks have been saying, at 10:00am CST I had an email from PBC saying my barrel and accessories (bought the hinged grate, ash catcher, turkey hanger too :grin:) were packed and tracking number issued!

This is going to be good...crossing my fingers for a Friday delivery!

Now, back to page 268 for me, and back to your regularly scheduled program for y'all....

Cheers

Vam

Howdy! Been a while...crazy weather here in Indy so gots a couple cooks in and a duck on for today!
Did these halfs so many son could get sweet n I get spicy. I love red hot as a binder on most things these days.....dominator for him and mix Santa Maria and HDD for me
20170218_144432_zps6skdjgdg.jpg

20170218_171231_zpskgepg9wb.jpg

Ran a 2/1/.5 on it cuz kid likes fall off the bone
20170218_171021_zpsprclcxsx.jpg

Oddly enough bud light for his and the pickled jalapeño juice for me! Sorry, no money shot....gone too fast!:grin:
Today got some duck rolling with Santa Maria and garlic olive oil binder
20170221_141741_zpsp0un46qt.jpg

20170221_144501_zps4frhfkqi.jpg

Gratuitous beer fridge and fav hard drink shots...
20170221_130719_zps693t9znr.jpg

20170221_144132_zps4jcvjng2.jpg

That feeling when you know you smoked a full barrel on Sunday but there's not a bite in the fridge today because you took it all to Mom's house. :shock: :twitch:

Only one cure for that feeling! Four tri-tips on the hooks right now with four half chickens to follow. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Bird done...
20170221_155825_zpsqnashxky.jpg

20170221_163408_zpsecsxkutd.jpg

Ya...I knawed on the backbone a bit. I ain't ashamed....it was awesome!
Juices get poured over sweet tators and roasted
20170221_163404_zpse5sa8qsu.jpg

Yum

OFF THE HOOK! (or on the hook :grin:) I am a huge fan of smoked duck and goose...Was that a store-bought duck or wild (aka shot in the field)?

St. Louis Sunday

Here are a few pics of Sunday's cook. Tried wrapping these after 3 hours, because in the past, my ribs have gotten too dark before they get tender. I did one slab for my wife, who insists on Kraft Honey BBQ sauce and nothing else. Tried an apricot glaze on one, and a red plum jelly glaze on the last. Frankly, I couldn't tell the difference. I haven't nailed it yet on the PBC, but I am learning every time!

Last edited:
You guys and gals put on some great cooks! I'm watching the travels of my PBC, it is expected to arrive Friday afternoon...I feel like I'm 7 yrs old, and knew EXACTLY what I was getting for Christmas and therefore could not wait for Christmas morning :biggrin1:!

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts, questions, and set up techniques; after reading all 385 pages :shock: I feel prepared to get my cook on with this thing!

Cheers
Vam

I also finally finished all 385 pages of educational and drooling goodness. You guys are the best, and I bought my PBC in November, largely due to this thread showing the versatility of the smoker.

Here's the obligatory ribs cook picture. PBC all purpose and some local Pete's BBQ sauce. I still haven't gotten them where I want them. You can see the ends there got a little crisp and the rest still had more chew than I like. I'm in the PNW at 300ft, so like many in that range, times are longer than anticipated.

The flavor has been great. Did a prime rib roast and chickens. Chicken was FANTASTIC. The roast cooked way faster than expected, as it was a small 2 pound roast, but was still tender and flavorful, and not the PBC's fault.

uEcr0LC.jpg

I also finally finished all 385 pages of educational and drooling goodness. You guys are the best, and I bought my PBC in November, largely due to this thread showing the versatility of the smoker.

Here's the obligatory ribs cook picture. PBC all purpose and some local Pete's BBQ sauce. I still haven't gotten them where I want them. You can see the ends there got a little crisp and the rest still had more chew than I like. I'm in the PNW at 300ft, so like many in that range, times are longer than anticipated.

The flavor has been great. Did a prime rib roast and chickens. Chicken was FANTASTIC. The roast cooked way faster than expected, as it was a small 2 pound roast, but was still tender and flavorful, and not the PBC's fault.

uEcr0LC.jpg

Looks great. If you are only doing a few racks you can always cut them in half if you are having trouble with the bottom getting too crispy.

Welcome!
The ribs look great! I think you'll get it down soon with them. Just cook about 20 min longer if they aren't as tender as you want and use the bend test to determine when they are done. As far as the crispy ends, I've learned that a lot of times that's an indication your cooker being too hot when you initially put them in OR you got some temp flares while cooking (or both). After dumping the lit coals in the PBC, put the lid on and wait at least 15 minutes before putting any meat in. Once the meat is in open the lid as little as possible (if any at all) until your food is close to being done.

Good luck!

Welcome!
The ribs look great! I think you'll get it down soon with them. Just cook about 20 min longer if they aren't as tender as you want and use the bend test to determine when they are done. As far as the crispy ends, I've learned that a lot of times that's an indication your cooker being too hot when you initially put them in OR you got some temp flares while cooking (or both). After dumping the lit coals in the PBC, put the lid on and wait at least 15 minutes before putting any meat in. Once the meat is in open the lid as little as possible (if any at all) until your food is close to being done.

Good luck!

At my house we call those crispy well done ribs at the end....the chefs sample.

My PBC made it to Tulsa last night, and is on a truck headed to the boom town of Pryor as I write this....tonight will be the inaugural cook night!

Per the norm, the first disaster was discovered: I thought I had two 10 lb bags of chicken quarters in the freezer, but discovered last night they were actually chiken tenders! That simply will not do...so off to Sam's this morning....

IMG_1025_zpspiguyan4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The PBC is going to get its cook this weekend! :-D

Last edited:
Back