What Brethren Techniques/Methods/Recipes Have Your Incorporated Into Your Cooking Repertoire?

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I thought this would be a helpful and informative thread that gives us the opportunity to share with each other how some of our members have enriched our cooking. It could be a recipe, technique, cooking method, just let us know. A link would be most helpful to include so other members can look it up. I'll start:

Back in 2010, I cooked my second brisket. The first was an utter disaster, and must never be spoken of. I decided to follow Bigabyte's excellent Basic Brisket Tutorial, and have never looked back. It was no frills, meaning no mopping or injection type stuff, but helped me knock it out of the park on that second time. Here's the link, though no pics thanks to PB:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

Diesel Dave taught me to season pork after pulling. Game changer and not sure why I never thought to do so. I am sure ill chime into this thread a few more times but that was the first that came to mind.

I've adopted SOOO many tricks and technique's from this site I can't possibly name them all. I try to click the Thanks button on the posts I'll use. And to all the Brethren that have ever suggested anything: Thank you.
Every time I plan a meal I think: "How would Cowgirl do it?"
But the most used trick I've learned here is to dust chicken wings in flour before grilling.(Can't remember who said it first though)
The skin comes out so good and crispy!
I'd always done that for fried, but never woulda thunk to do it for fire.

BluDawg's hot and fast brisket method, which I've converted to pretty much everything else. Sure, it still takes hours but not 12+ doing it low and slow.

......Mayonnaise

But in all seriousness, a lot of small brisket techniques here and there. Temps, butcher paper wrap.

I really like all the product recommendations on here. I didn't know anything about Oakridge BBQ (they are local to me) or thermoworks until getting on this site.

Last edited:
So much of what I do now came from here. I was pretty much a rookie when I joined, so the gang here taught me a lot! Probably the one that I use the most is to cook until it is done based on feel. Except for certain meats, like chicken, where internal temp is important for food safety, my thermapen is used more as a probe than a thermometer.

When I first started become active here, I saw so many folks using thermometers, I decided to buy one. Wouldn't be without it, especially for steak and chicken.

So much of what I do now came from here. I was pretty much a rookie when I joined, so the gang here taught me a lot! Probably the one that I use the most is to cook until it is done based on feel. Except for certain meats, like chicken, where internal temp is important for food safety, my thermapen is used more as a probe than a thermometer.

Very good point. I was certainly a rookie when stumbling upon this site. Had zero clue what probe tender was and now ive got it down to an art. I generally only temp chicken and the occasional thick piece of fish. Hate overcooked salmon....

Resting times... I use to line up my schedule to start lunch right when I pull the meat off the smoker. It is fresh, right?? WRONG. That may work for burgers and steaks but smoked meat is a different beast. Now I have been trying to start my cooks much earlier and find the finish product a lot better after several hours of resting.

I didn't know BBQ (good BBQ) could be cooked Hot and Fast. I thought I had to stay up all night in order to get pulled pork or brisket. Now I get up a little early and we still eat by dinner- and I'm much more pleasant to be around (granted that is a negligible scale since I'm pretty grouchy :grin:)

I use to think i could remember everything i need to know, only 3 types of meat to learn about Brisket, Pork and chicken. I learn quickly to write it down. Then y'all got me addicted to smoking more often. Now i had to go buy a new DSS pit.
Y'all are making me go broke. Lol
I have learn from every body here, So thank you The BBQ Brethren Nation.

I bought my PBC due in part to the recommendations of many Brethren. I never knew about checking for probe tender until seeing it once or twice on this site. I also stopped soaking my wood thanks to the Breth!

And so much more!

Have learned a lot in my time here - way too much to list. A few high points: BluDawg's brisket, Shagdog's Al Pastor cook (got me to make a vertical rotisserie & associated recipes) & his sausage posts, FWIS's hanging & spinning thread, Moose's Chimichurri , Pitmaster T's rants, SmittyJonz (& others) advice on how to run a stickburner (I never knew) & all the fabulous cooks, techniques & recipes that come up almost daily.

Last edited:
Many different things from this website or one other, but they all seem to blur together.

But I do need to try another one.....

Moose - shoot me some of that Smoked Mayo. I gotta give that a try!

:biggrin1:

Everything Cowgirl.says......beyond that wonderful info on stick burners and drums and charcoal and briskets and pork bellies (coming soon) and ribs and mayo chicken (go figure!!)....you name it...this place is incredible with wonderful (sometimes knucklehead) fellows......can’t think of a better place to learn.....

Back