Wood chips

MIKEMAC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just put my butt on and I have some hickory chips going right now. I also have apple chips. I haven't tried the apple on anything yet. Should I save it for another day or alternate apple and hickory or mix them up? I just want a nice flavor, butt, don't want to screw up my butt

all options will be just fine.

but you might want to go just hickory this time, then just apple so you can see if you taste a difference and then maybe the next time do a 50/50 mix.

Only way you'll know for sure is to see what you prefer.

That is a good idea. I have read lots of good things about pecan chips. Should I be on the hunt for some?

I would also stick with the Hickory. If you are concerned about your butt... be gentle in the amount of chips that you use. I put way to much smoke wood into my first few smokes, this resulted in an almost inedible product. Keep track of how many chips you use and you can always adjust up from there for your next smoke.

I have been trying to smoke for about half of the time I cook. Does that sound about right? My smoker allows me to put in about a cup of wood chips at a time and I add more when I see it stop smoking, usally after about 40 minutes. Halfway through I just dump the wood tray.

I would also stick with the Hickory. If you are concerned about your butt... be gentle in the amount of chips that you use. I put way to much smoke wood into my first few smokes, this resulted in an almost inedible product. Keep track of how many chips you use and you can always adjust up from there for your next smoke.

Something seems off with this.....

If adding too much wood results in an almost inedible product, then what happens to the product from those that burn all wood?

Are you sure you are not describing a "Dirty Burn"? ie too much white smoke from a choking fire?

Its not so much the quantity of smoke as it is the quality [Sorry I have been wanting to say that for a while] But seriously you will see it mentioned time and again here about the color of the smoke and as already stated a "dirty burn" Do a search for thin blue smoke and you will see a wealth of info.

Back