• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Commercial Rubs

JONESY

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice/recommendations on commercially available rubs. For the past 10 years I have been making all my own rubs, and now wonder if I'm missing out on something. Most people love my rubs and offer compliments, I just wonder if the store bought stuff could be that much better. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Try some of the ones that some of the Bretheren sell. Try a few and see how you like them. Plowboys, Simply Marvelous, The Rub Co, Todds dirt, just to name a few

I'm new to the forum and haven't tried any of the Brethern's rubs (intend to soon) but I did find one commercial rub that I like. It's Grill Mate's Sweet Smokey rub. WalMart has it. I know, I know, WalMart, you've got to be kidding me right? I make my own rubs too but lately, that one has been getting me some high praise on pork. Not for beef for sure. Give it a try, you might be surprised. Hope that helps.
:)
Randy

Devious, I have never bought and of the Brethren product, but I would definitely love to support their ventures in any way. What do you feel is the best way to purchase these products. I see that Great Lakes BBQ re-sales all the rubs mentioned.

I just bought some Plowboys Bovine Bold and Yardbird and some Spicewine Heffer Dust from Greatlakes bbq. Service was great. I tried the Bold on some burgers(of all things) last night and really liked it.

Used Bovine Bold on chuck roll & Yardbird on spareribs & pork butts last weekend. Off the hook. I make my own rubs too, but when you're short on time it's real easy to order a sack.

Just picked up some Plowboys Bovine Gold and Yardbird at Bass Pro Shop yesterday, can't wait to try them out this weekend. Both taste great dry.

this! --->
gdcom_2111_393130872

Smokin Gun's Hot, All the Plowboy's rubs, and John Henry's Wild Cherry Chipotle.

I use both home made and store bought, they are all different. I also vote for Simply Marvelous, Plowboy's, Todd's Dirt, The Rub Co. and Dizzy Pig is a new one I like.

Back