What high tech bbq gadget do you use?

WareZdaBeef

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I recently bought a DigiQ. And i love it. I considered the CyberQ but I already have a igrill2 pro w/4 +ambient probe. Its bluetooth but with a old rooted android phone and the Airdroid app, its the best Wifi temp probe you can get for the money (i payed $99 for the igrill2 pro) The best feature its that Airdroid works with all OS's including a web browser based version. Anyway, the only benefit i see with the CyberQ over the DigiQ/Igrill2 pro combo is the CyberQ can monitor pit temp via Wifi, but i can monitor the pit temp with the Igrill2 (which is only off by 1deg then the DigiQ pit temp) and i also get 3 other probes.
Here is a screen shot i just took on my tablet just chilling in the bedgroom on the second floor.
cook.jpg

So what setup do you guys use?

None anymore. Well, I use a Thermapen every now and then.

I used to use mavericks and had a PartyQ on my WSM. I recently sold the WSM w/ PartyQ to a co-worker. I liked the PartyQ as it allowed me to get some sleep.

Now, I just roll with the Shirley going by feel.:thumb:

That reminds me, I need to change my sig line.

Oh i forgot to mention My pit is about 25 feet away from my house with the android phone on the porch acting as a extender of sorts to reach the Wifi router.

None anymore. Well, I use a Thermapen every now and then.

I used to use mavericks and had a PartyQ on my WSM. I recently sold the WSM w/ PartyQ to a co-worker. I liked the PartyQ as it allowed me to get some sleep.

Now, I just roll with the Shirley going by feel.:thumb:

That reminds me, I need to change my sig line.

I was thinking of getting the PartyQ but i didn't like the idea of the fan being built in and probably not easily replaceable and being only battery operated.

I was thinking of getting the PartyQ but i didn't like the idea of the fan being built in and probably not easily replaceable and being only battery operated.

Believe it or not, it actually works quite well. I could easily run two, ten hour cooks on one set of batteries. It held temp like a champ on the 18.5 WSM.

HeaterMeter. I can monitor the Kamado and meat, and change the temperature from anywhere I have cell data or a wifi connection, plus it sends me alarms although it is so effective they aren't really needed for those cooks. I use it on the stick burner to warn me if the temp gets out of range but don't let it do any controlling on the Lang.

I was hoping for some input on the CyberQ, i dont know of any other Wifi ATC. I am just curious how far the Pit can be from the house to still pickup Wifi signal. With my setup i could easily go 40 feet away from the bluetooth android phone/server/extender and pickup my Wifi router.

Reason i bring it up is even my router and transformer mini tablet which both have the newest 802.11ac can barely go 15 feet away from my house before losing signal.

aside from my computer/the internet. the highest tech bbq gadget i've used is my pitmaster iq110 on my 18.5wsm.

I'm at a loss...I don't own any high tech gadgets. I typically use a 22.5 WSM...set it & forget it until I think I should go look. For overnighters I just follow the aforementioned protocol, go to bed, & check it in the morning.

I do have a Thermopen that I use as a probe...but it's GRAY so it probably doesn't count as high tech.

CyberQ and iGrill. Gives me more temp probes for the larger cooks.

Also have a Thermapen and a Thermapen Mk4

Flame boss 300 wifi has brought sleep back to my long cooks, even on a stick burner. Briquettes in a charcoal basket have bought me 4 hours which is a godsend

I got a maverick et733 last year which has served me well, a candy thermometer for measuring grill temps on my Weber and uds.

Most recently an almost instant read thermometer on Amazon for under $30 cdn. Great for measuring doneness on pork chops.

I buy meat on sale in family packs from different stores and freeze them. Sometimes they are different thicknesses and I don't like serving them rare. The new quick read thermometer seems to get a good read with 3 seconds. Insert it in on a shallow angle so that the 1/8" tip of the probe is in the center of a 3/4" thick chop.

I'm still learning the fire characteristics of lump vs briquettes and managing hotspots and even heat when grilling direct on my kettle.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Back