bacon cure question

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
can i use high mountain jerkey cure and seasoning to cure bacon like buckboard bacon cure? thanks

You can use the cure but I not to sure about the seasoning. IF I remember correctly, the cure is a 50/50 mixture of Morton tender quick and brown sugar. Check it out if you can, I am just going on memory. If you use the 50/50 mix, you still need to use it at the Morton rate, i.e. 1 TBS MQ per pound. That would be 2 TBS of the mixture per pound.

NUTZ

High Mountain make kits for various types of meat products like you mentioned.

It would cure the meat, but the taste would be off due to the spices and flavor ingredients used for jerky. High Mountain does make a Buckboard Bacon Cure....

You can also buy the ingredients to make your own cure, here is a basic recipe, omit the liquid smoke and cold smoke for a couple hours before bringing the smoker up to temperature to finish the buckboard bacon..... http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Bacon-buckboard.pdf

Last edited:
Pink salt/Prague cure #1, salt, and sugar/brown sugar is all I use. I'll put extra/different seasonings in when I'm doing Canadian bacon or pastrami, but the cure almost all remains the same.

Back