Did Not Know I Was Paying For Rocks

BBQ Freak

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have only used lump charcoal a couple times ever and have always used natural briquette and decided to give Royal Oak Lump a try tonight . Started pouring it into the grill and I here this big thud sound , to my surprise I found this big chunk that is full of rock that weighs in at almost a pound . I have heard some people say they have found this before in their lump but due to my limited use of it I did not really know what they were talking about . Since I know I am paying by the weight that is in the bag why the heck a I paying for rocks in my charcoal ? ::twitch::evil:

Last edited:
Used to get that with Cowboy brand all the time. Their QC has improved. Now it's a bit more with RO. I had one very heavy bag and had a huge chunk of concrete in it that weighed over 5 pounds once. Petrified snake, dead mice were a bit gross. The biggest prize I got in my bag of Cracker Jack's was a live frog. Opened that bag up, and he hopped right out. Blackest frog I ever saw in my life.

If it is that common I think I will go back to my royal Chef charcoal and I have never found rocks in it , lol .

Some brands are better than others. Cowbow brand tends to have a fair amount of rocks in my experience. Often feel a little ripped off with cowboy. I found a brand (i think it's local) called Grove which seems to be rock free almost always, and only a little dust.

Although I bet that briquette also has a certain amount of stuff that doesnt burn right in the briquette, at least judging from the weight of the ash in comparison to lump.

Used to get that with Cowboy brand all the time. Their QC has improved. Now it's a bit more with RO. I had one very heavy bag and had a huge chunk of concrete in it that weighed over 5 pounds once. Petrified snake, dead mice were a bit gross. The biggest prize I got in my bag of Cracker Jack's was a live frog. Opened that bag up, and he hopped right out. Blackest frog I ever saw in my life.

I could hadle a frog and glad you saved its life :mrgreen:

Some postulate that the concrete floors of the kilns bust up, thus you get pieces of driveway in your lump.

Me? I think it's all a part of a vast right wing conspiracy.

Or not.

/s

you would think by now they would of solved this problem

Guess thats how they step on the product in the lump game.

I guess you got to make extra money someway but never on me again

I have found rocks, concrete, fiberglass insulation, plywood, plastic bottles, aluminum cans, Romex wire, pine lumber scraps and nails in RO and Cowboy lump.

Please explain the "natural briquette" and how they form in the natural environment. I've never seen one form in my wood stove ;)

I've never Googled it but I think they crush lump and use starch as a binder to form it into shape.

Please explain the "natural briquette" and how they form in the natural environment. I've never seen one form in my wood stove ;)

it is about the binders that hold the charcoal together , someone here with more smarts than me could explain it better . :biggrin1:

Happens all the time, I've found rocks in every brand of lump I've ever used. It's really not a big deal to me.....I can deal with the odd rock here or there, if they had to screen to the point of getting absolutely 100% of the rocks out we'd probably be paying $40 a bag lol

why is there rocks in there ??

i use only wood so not familiar with that lump stuff.

I've found a few rocks in RO lump over the years. Not enough to turn me away.. But it happens from time to time.

First, if you weigh a bag of lump, you will find they are usually a good bit heavier than the label which offsets the occasional hunk of non-charcoal that gets in there.

Also, burn 20 lbs of lump and 20 lbs of briquettes and then weigh the ashes. All that extra weight from the briquettes is crushed rocks and dirt. They disguise it much better so that allows them to put that much more into each bag. Yum!

Back