• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Membrane

Why would anyone boil ribs when we have microwaves these days to cook em in, just gotta baste em more often in the microwave:wink:
Not if you brine & inject them before the microwave.... :wink:

I remove the membrane BTW...

Theres enough fat in a rib to have it super juicy without the membrane. If you need to keep the membrane on the get a juicy product your doing it wrong.

That being said when I was vending this summer cooking 200-400 racks a day we left the membrane on. That would have taken for ever to remove. I didnt really mind the end product either. But you definetly miss out on rub on both sides. I start my ribs meat side up, and when the bark starts to form and rub cooked on I flip until done. I don't rake any fat out after the membrane is removed so when I do flip it makes a little juice pool which I spread around every 30 mins.

I need to start posting more looking for wood under my name is kinda making me feel like a nerd.

Theres enough fat in a rib to have it super juicy without the membrane. If you need to keep the membrane on the get a juicy product your doing it wrong.

I diThat being said when I was vending this summer cooking 200-400 racks a day we left the membrane on. That would have taken for ever to remove. dnt really mind the end product either. But you definetly miss out on rub on both sides. I start my ribs meat side up, and when the bark starts to form and rub cooked on I flip until done. I don't rake any fat out after the membrane is removed so when I do flip it makes a little juice pool which I spread around every 30 mins.
Nothing like self contradiction:tape:

I take them off at the insistence of the wife. It's not difficult once you do a couple a dozen. Sometimes it's difficult to get it all f the membrane though.

Nothing like self contradiction:tape:

Well I mean having the membrane on wasnt bad but I much prefer off. There is no advantage to keeping it on. If you have the time, take it off. More flavor and glaze doesnt stick to the membrane either.

Also if keeping the membrane on, remember to slice across ribs before you serve to people or hot juices can come squirting out

Leaving the membrane on is like not trimming fat from a steak. It's still good but a little extra effort makes for a better meal. I always rip the membrane off of my ribs.

Like others have said. Before I knew what I was doing I left the membrane on. Always remove it. Dont buy the moisture argument. If you have problems with moisture, foil them for a while.

Remove. I heard of a well known BBQ restaurant that leaves the membrane on while smoking, then moves the ribs over a char-broiler to burn off the remaining membrane. Never tried it at home.

I done both....When smoking over direct heat on the UDS I find that its barely noticeable. When cooking indirectly in the offset, I like it better removed.

We pull ours off. Have tried both ways and I can notice a difference (at least in the way we cook them). I know the theory is that it holds in moisture, but I find ours are just fine in the moisture category without it.

I used to take mine off but after watching pitmaster t's youtube video I converted. Score the membrane between each rib and cook my ribs hot and fast.

Back