Thinking of buying a Jambo J-3

DaveAlvarado

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Because "go big or go home". :biggrin1:

Seriously, I've had a hankering for a trailer pit for a long while now. I've looked into all the major manufacturers, spent some time with a backyard stick burner to make sure I get along with that style of cooker, and read every review I could find.

The Jambo came down to three things:

1. I want a traditional offset, not a reverse flow. That ruled out cheaper options like Lang and the other stellar quality option Shirley.

2. It's pretty. Like, really pretty. The sort of pretty that would look *good* in the garage. That knocked out the other traditional offset manufacturers like LSG, Gator, Klose, and Yoder.

3. If I ever decide I don't want or need it anymore, they sell in hours for almost full price. So while it's a hefty financial investment, the odds of losing that money are pretty small.

Thoughts? Opinions? Any owners want to chime in on the ownership experience?

If you were going to go big or go home, you would ditch the J3 and go for the J5. Just sayin :p

I thought about getting a Muscrat build, but the more I thought the less comfortable I was paying for a rip-off design. If I was Jamie I'd be awfully upset people kept cloning my pit. I'm willing to pay extra to not support that.

A J-5 is too big, I don't need the extra storage space or the chicken cooker and I don't want to try to manhandle that myself all the time.

I have seen some Jambo's sell for more than what was originally purchased for. I really like the R&O Smokers also, pretty close to a Jambo I believe.

IMO, there is no better stick burner built. I've had 3, sold the first 2 (wish I'd kept them) and made money. I've been offered 50% above original cost for the 3rd one. So not only a great pit but actually appreciate in value.

I thought about getting a Muscrat build, but the more I thought the less comfortable I was paying for a rip-off design. If I was Jamie I'd be awfully upset people kept cloning my pit.

Mockery is the Best Flattery - he should feel complimented.
Muscrat says he's never seen a Jambo or R/O except on TV.

I have been thinking and dreaming of a Jambo for a long time. If I had the coin I would go J3 .Good luck

For that money I would want versatility like a Pitmaker trailer. Tables, smokers, grills, water, etc...

There is something to be said for owning the "best". Also, something to consider...bbq is hot now and trending everywhere. But like goatees and huge car stereos it can go out of style pretty quick. When that happens that really expensive Jambo might not be so easy to sell for the price you are hoping.

Now go buy it so you can share pics!

I have never cooked on one, but I would like to test drive one. A week or so ago, the top five teams in KCBS all were Jambo folks. So that speaks well for the comp side.

I just can't understand how he can have one of the worst websites for any product. But, to be honest most craftsmen don't focus on that and it isn't hurting sales much.

You could always buy 20+ WSMs LOL! As for Shirley, have you talked to Paul about the possibility of a traditional offset build?

IMHO, Jambo pits don't sell like they do because they're a popular trend. They also don't sell because their website is fancy either. They just cook consistently and are a solid smoker.

I'm not going to speak to the comparison to other cookers as I've not cooked on the "clones" out there, but I'll just say that, personally, I've not cooked on a better stick burner than a Jambo.

If you choose to go with a Jambo, you will not be disappointed.
I've not met one single Jambo cook that regrets their purchase, unless it's that they wish they'd upgraded.

Hmm.. with that criteria I see a Jambo or Pitmaker in your future. R&O can sell you that Jambo style. One Man Pitts out of Shiner makes some nice trailers too.

There was a thread on here how some people are having problems with the fire box welds cracking. Search for it.

There was a thread on here how some people are having problems with the fire box welds cracking. Search for it.

The firebox welds cracking were from older Backyard models. I haven't seen anything on here about the J3's or J5's firebox cracking.

Why don't you want the reverse flow option?

I cook hot & fast, typically targeting 300F. After some research and asking around, it appears that while reverse flow cookers have no problems getting to that temp, they tend to become uneven across the cooking area when you crank them up.

The firebox welds cracking were from older Backyard models. I haven't seen anything on here about the J3's or J5's firebox cracking.

I saw that thread, and my understanding is that the 1st gen Backyards were eventually farmed out, i.e. Jamie wasn't making them in his shop. I could be wrong on that. Either way, I'm not concerned at all. If I had a J3 and a weld on the firebox busted, I can just drive it over and show it to Jamie. I trust it would get fixed up right.

I cook hot & fast, typically targeting 300F. After some research and asking around, it appears that while reverse flow cookers have no problems getting to that temp, they tend to become uneven across the cooking area when you crank them up.

Not my experience but I am sure it depends on design just like a standard flow.

I saw that thread, and my understanding is that the 1st gen Backyards were eventually farmed out, i.e. Jamie wasn't making them in his shop. I could be wrong on that. Either way, I'm not concerned at all. If I had a J3 and a weld on the firebox busted, I can just drive it over and show it to Jamie. I trust it would get fixed up right.

Every one I saw with an issue is the backyard, farmed out models.

Back