Mojo BBQ Pork

Grange

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am going on a fishing vacation with my father and brother-in-law and I wanted to bring some BBQ for a meal or two and decided to try something different. I started scouring cook books and the internet for good recipes for the pork butt in my freezer. I settled on something that we could make Cuban sandwiches since I really enjoy those.

After lots of searching I decided to take the best elements from a few different recipes including at least one from here. The marinade came from a cook book. The rub came from a message board, some special tweaks to the marinade came from here, and I kind of tweaked the injection to my tastes.

I made the marinade the night before and stored it in the fridge overnight. I then reserved a cup of the marinade for a sauce on the finished pork. The rest I used for the injection recipe and of course the marinade. I injected and then marinated the butt all day (12 hours or so).

The recipe I got the marinade from didn't call for a rub, but I made one anyway with cumin, orange zest, Mexican oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and kosher salt. I put the rub on right before it went on the BGE.

I put it on the BGE with cherry wood since I didn't have apple wood and smoked it at around 225. I tried my brother-in-laws IQ 110 and it took a while for me to get used to it, but once I did it was great. The butt was about 7-8 lbs and after about 15 hours I got sick of waiting since it was getting late so I cranked it up to 315 to finish.

I pulled it at 195, wrapped it and placed it in a towel packed cooler to rest for an hour and a half. I then pulled it and poured the reserved marinade. It was very difficult for me to freeze pack it for the fishing trip because it was so damn good. It may be the best pork butt I've ever made. It is going to make some very good Cubanos.

0628152129.jpg

Last edited:
That does look tasty!
Good luck with the fishin'.

Nice color on the pork. I still haven't tried the mojo route. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds yummy...

Share your marinade recipe with your Brethren... I'd be tempted to try it.

made one last night as well, just finished off some left overs. mojo is an excellent change of pace, try it on your ribs as well!!

1 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1 TBSP ground cumin
1 TBSP dried Mexican oregano
1 TBSP Kosher salt
12 cloves of garlic

I blended everything in a blender and stored over night in the fridge.

I reserved a cup of this marinade and used the rest for the injection and marinade.

for the injection and marinade I diluted it with water and kosher salt. I marinated the pork but in this mixture after injecting it for at least 12 hours.

Most of this recipe is from Adam Perry Lang's Serious BBQ so I can't take much credit. I did up the garlic as I love garlic and adjusted the amount of water and salt to better fit in container I used.

The rub came from another message board and was equal parts:

mexican oregano
fresh ground black pepper
kosher salt
onion powder
garlic powder
orange zest

I also added some cumin though I didn't measure it so not sure if it was the same quantity as the others.

1 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1 TBSP ground cumin
1 TBSP dried Mexican oregano
1 TBSP Kosher salt
12 cloves of garlic

I blended everything in a blender and stored over night in the fridge.

I reserved a cup of this marinade and used the rest for the injection and marinade.

for the injection and marinade I diluted it with water and kosher salt. I marinated the pork but in this mixture after injecting it for at least 12 hours.

Most of this recipe is from Adam Perry Lang's Serious BBQ so I can't take much credit. I did up the garlic as I love garlic and adjusted the amount of water and salt to better fit in container I used.

The rub came from another message board and was equal parts:

mexican oregano
fresh ground black pepper
kosher salt
onion powder
garlic powder
orange zest

I also added some cumin though I didn't measure it so not sure if it was the same quantity as the others.

Thanks.....

Back