• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

chicken thighs

DevineSwine

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm thinking about cooking some up tomorrow and just wanted to check in and see how long you guys yours for. I realize that weight and temp play a big role but I'm talking average.and what's a good way to check and see if they are done.

Are you talking about competition style thighs with tender bite through skin, or grilled thighs with crisp skin?

Do you have a turkey fryer.

I like to deep fry them and then make a hot sauce and butter Emulsion. Then toss the deep fried thighs in them till they are covered.

I call them Buffalo Thighs.

If Im smoking them I let them go a long time, at like 175. Then I finish them i=on the grill to crisp up the skin like bacon.

Ok, as far as time goes here is what it takes for me. On the UDS with temps around 300* I'm looking at 90 minutes give or take a few. Just did some on my Meadowcreek, charcoal bed with chicken about 10 inches above the coals took about an hour. I trimmed the thighs comp style (for me, still learning lol) so they were smaller than thighs right out of the bag. Hope this helps.

The best way to know if your chicken is done is with an Internal Temp Gauge. You are looking for about 165-170F IT for your thighs.

41KH0QGD7TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I bet its not I in no way underestimate what you guys do. With that being said I want to do this and since I'm not fixing a hole in the bottom of a boat its ok if I mess up the first few times right.

Absolutely! :thumb:

Last edited:
And then there's a thing called KFC (Kettle Fried Chicken). Seen it on here and had to give it a go on my Weber kettle, damn good eats.

Good lord those thighs look great. Im not sure Im into the bite through skin though skin though. Maybe I am?

Is that what judges want to see, bite through skin?

Good lord those thighs look great. Im not sure Im into the bite through skin though skin though. Maybe I am?

Is that what judges want to see, bite through skin?

Yes it is. I know chicken skin can be nasty, but great, bite through skin, is like heaven. :-D

Im gonna try it.

Care to share your method? Or is it a secret? :becky:

Back