Discussion Thread -> "All American Open!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Our new TD category is..."All American Open!"

1330244_thirdeye.jpg

This was Thirdeye's non winning entry in the 2010 By the Book (Independance Day Special) TD

As chosen by Code3rrt for his win in the Mixed Grill Throwdown

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Code3rrt said:
Show us your patriotic bbq passion around or on the birthday of our nation by cooking whatever you like that fits standard TD rules.
You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 6/26 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 7/6/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 7/6/15

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Official Entry

Porcini Mushroom rubbed Beef Ribs

Please accept this official entry in the “All American Open” TD

What’s more American that Beef? - It’s what for Diner!

Rubbed these down with MSD’s Porcini Mushroom Rub

View attachment 113379

These were Grilled on the GMG using Hickory

View attachment 113380

Here they are ready to eat!

View attachment 113381

These were very tender, juicy, and the mushroom rub really brought out the beef flavors
The cook is also here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213156

Please use the last picture for the entry

Thanks For Lookin!

Last edited:
This is my official entry in The All American TD

Beef. It's what for dinner
1st the roasted garlic for garlic butter

Next shrooms

Now the stars. Three beauties- a ribeye for me, filet for my wife, and a strip for my son. Thea were salted for 1 1/4 hrs

Runsed and patted dry olive oil spread on with fresh cracked pepper and put on the Egg @ 600-650

Cook for about 6 1/2 minutes and then rested

Served with shrooms and horseradish carrots.
Please use this as my official entry

This was really good. Unfortunately the filet was too rare for my wife but she enjoyed some of the strip
Thanks for looking

I'm just gonna toss this in here as an official for the Hell of it. What's more American than a rummage through the fridge leftovers casserole? The star ingredient is smoked pig leg I did a week ago, so smoked or grilled meat is a prominent feature, hopefully meeting the rule. I made this lovely dish Saturday. For your viewing pleasure...

rummage%20dish_zps9gszsquj.jpg

Polling pic...

hot%20mess_zpsbh7v1xax.jpg

One farked up gooey mess version 2.0.

I'm just gonna toss this in here as an official for the Hell of it. What's more American than a rummage through the fridge leftovers casserole? The star ingredient is smoked pig leg I did a week ago, so smoked or grilled meat is a prominent feature, hopefully meeting the rule. I made this lovely dish Saturday. For your viewing pleasure...

rummage%20dish_zps9gszsquj.jpg

Polling pic...

hot%20mess_zpsbh7v1xax.jpg

One farked up gooey mess version 2.0.

I would devour that 'mess' in a heartbeat.
Looks like a hangover special. Great job

This an Oficial Entry

If Guerry is posting his efforts, I guess I should, too.
This is the first pork loin I have ever cooked. I butterflied it, cooked up a couple cubed apples, a small coarsely chopped onion, and cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt and cayenne pepper in a fry pan, and stuffed it. After tying it, I rubbed it with the same mixture as above, adding granulated onion and garlic.
It went on the kettle at 250 deg for about 2 hours, and was pulled when it hit 140 deg internal. I let it rest for about 20 minutes, then sliced.
Please use this picture.
pork%20loin_zpsvonw941h.jpg

Please accept this as my entry to the All American Throdown.

For me, nothing says America on the forth like hamburgers, hot dogs and apple pie:-D!!

I'm working through the weekend, so here is my entree.

Started with this;

Hamb%20Hot%20Dog%20and%20Apple%20Pie%20003_zpsffymtgtz.jpg

After a few additions and some cookin' time, I had the following, starting with the apple crisp.
Hamb%20Hot%20Dog%20and%20Apple%20Pie%20019_zpsijvbj5na.jpg

Hamb%20Hot%20Dog%20and%20Apple%20Pie%20028_zpsyfukefof.jpg

Hamb%20Hot%20Dog%20and%20Apple%20Pie%20043_zpsjd6kl8t6.jpg

Please use the following as my entry shot please;
Hamb%20Hot%20Dog%20and%20Apple%20Pie%20036_zpsgota4ier.jpg

Absolutely delicious meal. Thanks for looking all.

You can see the full cook here; http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213402

Wishing you all a safe, sane and happy 4th!!!!

KC

Please accept this as my entry to the "All American Open!" Throwdown.

Since hamburgers and hot dogs pretty much scream America backyard grilling, i have here a burger in the shape of a hot dog. Or what I kinda ended up with was a bacon wrapped cheese stuffed burger sub I guess. Anywho, here is the cook thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213518

Please use this as my entry:

This may get me a Dilly Bar since it is not technically smoked or grilled, but is was cooked on an outdoor burner so that has to count for something right? I'll leave my fate up to the judges.

Cook thread here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3291955&posted=1#post3291955

Anyways, I don't think there is much more all-American than a low country boil (even if I am in California! :doh:)

Into the hot tub went some Zatarain's Crab Boil, some old bay, salt, a beer, lemons, vidalia onions, red potatoes, 5lbs of crab legs, 4lbs of shrimp, a couple lbs of mussels and some scallops. Everyone ate it up!

F1FBF33F-C282-45E2-9E59-225029DE17EA_zpsqkxihhba.jpg

6B2533BA-1810-4FAB-BCBD-EC0B05D7FC8D_zpsl3o17f12.jpg

C7ECE43B-BDDC-4F0D-AA53-145DCC967BDD_zpsfbycdvkg.jpg

Please use the following for my polling pic:

2AF966BC-E0EB-4393-8D69-84E985F37257_zpsy88qj7cm.jpg

We had a big party on the 4th. I was cooking for 50, and made a lot of food, but got so busy I forgot to take pictures of almost all of it. I did a big pulled pork butt, a bunch of sides, burgers and dogs, but the highlight was a whole rib eye roast. I got a 13 lb whole rib eye from BJs, trimmed it up, and trussed it. I coated it with a simple salt/pepper/garlic and smoked it with cherry wood until it hit 120. Then it got a quick sear on the gas grill, and a pretty long rest before slicing.

One of the pieces I trimmed off was the "chain", which is a long piece full of fat and gristle. I threw that on for a couple hours with the port butt. It was a delicious fatty snack. Here are some of the pieces.

2713.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have a cook thread. Here is the finished roast just as it was being carved. This thing came out perfect - medium rare, nice amount of smoke, and served with a horseradish sauce.

Please use this as my official entry picture:

2716.jpg

I hope you all had a great 4th.

1.8 lb. Porterhouse Steak with Blue Cheese Compound Butter and Veggies

This is my entry into the "All American Open" Throwdown.

We wanted to finish off the Holiday weekend with a bang so I had thawed out a Double R Ranch Porterhouse that I had in the freezer.

After the veggies were ready I checked the I.T. on the steak and I had overshot my target of 113 by 7 degrees. I took it off and loosely tented with foil and let the kamado get up to searing temps. I had found this Weber Searing grate on clearance at Lowes and put it to good use here.

I love these shots!

Here is everything Plated with a Twisted Manzanita Rustic Horizon Red Ale.

Here is the prerequisite “Fork” shot rubbed in some of the compound butter.

Not quite medium rare but still oh so delicious.

Below is my Money Shot to use for polling.

Thanks for looking.

The entire cook thread can be seen here:http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213666

Back