Aged Pork and Aging Pork Question

Rightstuff

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I had 2 boston butt packers that were sitting in my garage frig for about 2.5 weeks. This weekend I picked up 2 fresh boston butts for our competition. I decided that I would cook all 4 and only use the two fresh ones for turn-in. Well, later that night when I got home; my wife pulled the other 2 butts. HOLY CARP!!!!!! They were the best butts that I've ever done. My wife and I are in amazement at the HUGE difference between the butts (oh yeah my wife even ate one this morning for breakfast with coffee). I was scared of the possibility that those were tainted from the long stay in the garage frig. Even though we placed first in the pork category earlier that day; these were obvious to my wife and I of being superior to what we turned in. It seems I read a thread some time ago about aging pork. Does anyone have experience with this; or, was this just a big coincidence? Thanks for the help!

Thanks. Thats what my gut feeling was. Just wondering what made those taste so damn good. I thought I had read something regarding cold (wet) aging pork.

Ditto the above, though one thought: any idea if there were two different sources of pork (i.e. different pig farms)? I know that sometimes various retailers have what look like "killer" deals on meat but really what's happened is that one of the better producers had too much on hand and had to sell at a discount. Maybe you got lucky.

Ditto the above, though one thought: any idea if there were two different sources of pork (i.e. different pig farms)? I know that sometimes various retailers have what look like "killer" deals on meat but really what's happened is that one of the better producers had too much on hand and had to sell at a discount. Maybe you got lucky.

Yeah, that was my thought. Trust me...I'm a fanatic about throwing anything questionable away. Better safe than sorry. The butts in question came from Restaraunt Depot. The 2 fresh ones came from Piggly Wiggly. We were just perplexed about the huge difference in taste. I guess we'll be getting our pork from R.Depot in the future!

Yeah, that was my thought. Trust me...I'm a fanatic about throwing anything questionable away. Better safe than sorry. The butts in question came from Restaraunt Depot. The 2 fresh ones came from Piggly Wiggly. We were just perplexed about the huge difference in taste. I guess we'll be getting our pork from R.Depot in the future!

Have a little fun, ask the two butchers where they get the pork (name of farm, breed of pig, what it ate). 99.999% chance he'll bat 0 on this*. But the way pigs are biologically designed, what they eat in the last few weeks can make a huge difference. (Yes, I'm a bit of a Pork Geek, too.)

*Was at Steak & Shake last week with a charming member of this board and asked where they got their beef. Both the waitress and manager said "It came from our distribution center." :wink:

just curious..should of been a "consume by date" on the package? were you past it? If so, how far? I got a deal on some butts a while back. I didn't wanna freeze but couldn't use them for a week and half. The meat guy said they'd be fine as long as cyrovac wasn't opened.

Back