Concession Advice/Help

Restless Hog

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello all, I have some questions about doing concessions. I was approached today by a friend of mine who owns a very successful bar where I live. She has been wanting to bring in food on Saturday nights for her customers. She has talked to all the food trucks in the area, and they are all pretty much booked for a long time out. She asked me about selling my bbq in her bar. I would do all the cooking at home, and take it there to sell. It's only a few miles from my house. I was thinking of doing pulled pork sandwiches, with a side and a bag of chips. What should I charge for something like this. The patrons would pay me, and all the profit would be mine. I have never done any concessions before, not sure what the pricing should be. Any help, or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Patrick Hilbert
Restless Hog BBQ

Can you cook at home and serve the public where you live?

Do you need commercial (NSF) equipment where you live?

Are you insured if you get someone sick?

First off: Any part of the country that recognizes the Uniform Building Code will have prohibitions against cooking at home to serve the public. Some agencies choose to not enforce that requirement. Make sure that you are licensed, and most of us believe in insurance as well.

That being said...
The easy way to determine cost, is to take your food costs and multiply by three. That is the price you charge. The hard, but, correct way to do it, is to tally up all of your costs, including overhead and consumables, and then add in the profit margin you wish to make.

This is a good place to begin your due diligence.
LINK

It appears that KY has adopted the FDA codes for Food Establishments. You would definitely want to check with your local Health Dept/Licensing Agency to find out how to see if what you are proposing is legal.

As landarc has stated the "cooking at home" and "bringing to the bar" will probably be disallowed.

In Kansas we would not be able to operate as such. It is strictly prohibited to use a "home kitchen" (unlicensed facility) to prepare potentially hazardous foods for public consumption.

NOTE: Does the bar have a licensed kitchen that you can use to cook the food in?

Another note, if I was going to do this, I would do the sandwich and the chips, skip the side. In terms of eating at a bar, the sandwich will be the good stuff, the chips are salty and crunchy and will support beverage sales. My bet would be the side would end up being waste.

Back