• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Graduation Party

Deehrmageddon

Reaction score
So my mother-in-law requested that I hold my sister-in-law's college graduation party. I love cooking for our family, but that has usually topped out at 12-15 people. Now? 75-90.....OR MORE..... :shock:

So my noob question is, what do I need to ask for what they want or expect? I figured what kind of meats, sides, salads.... but portions? Invited vs. expected to show up? SAUCES!?!?! I know my BBQ in and out, but how do I ask to those who don't??

I have a BGE and a 22.5 WSM, along with a cheap gasser, so space is slightly constrained.

I know that's a lot, but I really appreciate any insight my brethren can provide!!! :hail:

I would give them some options to choose from so you have some control. Things that are fairly easy to cook and serve like pulled pork, slaw, potato salad, etc. Then let them choose how many people they want to prepare for and what size servings. That way if their numbers are off they can't come back and whine to you :-D Also ask if they want the food served or self-serve. Self-serve will mean more per person because people take more than they really need :)

What size BGE and how many butts can you fit on it? As far as what can you expect to show vs what is invites that comes down to how well the group RSVP's. What I can tell you is I probably have a average of 80% on a final guest count vs what the expected guest count at the time of booking was. Once you have the menu and expected guest count let us know and we'll help you with the rest of the details.

Thanks for the insight!

My initial thought was along the same lines as yours:

-Pulled Pork (1/3lb per person?)
-Coleslaw
-Beans

Still trying to figure out what the MIL wants....she loves the BBQ, but has no idea how or where it comes from :twitch:

What size BGE and how many butts can you fit on it? As far as what can you expect to show vs what is invites that comes down to how well the group RSVP's. What I can tell you is I probably have a average of 80% on a final guest count vs what the expected guest count at the time of booking was. Once you have the menu and expected guest count let us know and we'll help you with the rest of the details.

I have a Large BGE. I've fit 2 comfortably, but I could probably fit 3 if they weren't huge.

Thanks again, I've emailed the MIL for more direction... hopefully that leans down the questions.

I 'm sure you need more real estate, and I'd add dogs and burgers.
YOU NEED to get a handle on how many.

I 'm sure you need more real estate, and I'd add dogs and burgers.
YOU NEED to get a handle on how many.

As soon as my MIL gets back to an estimate, I will be sure to re-evaluate. I'm hoping those calculators on the sticky are accurate!

My actual guess, about 75 full adult meals....

And as to real estate, that's where I was hoping the cheap gasser would come in. If I were to cook 7-8 butts, I could easily grill plenty of burgers and dogs. 7-8 butts at 5-6lbs each I think should hold that crowd.

I have a Large BGE. I've fit 2 comfortably, but I could probably fit 3 if they weren't huge.

Thanks again, I've emailed the MIL for more direction... hopefully that leans down the questions.

You're going to need more space or cook in shifts. Let's use 80 people as an example. 80 people at 1/3 lb servings is 27 lbs of cooked pork. At 50% yield that means 54 lbs raw pork, or 7-8 butts.

You're going to need more space or cook in shifts. Let's use 80 people as an example. 80 people at 1/3 lb servings is 27 lbs of cooked pork. At 50% yield that means 54 lbs raw pork, or 7-8 butts.

So if that's the case, what's the best way to hold/reheat :)tape:) pulled pork? I have the previous two days off, so time's not the issue. I've never reheated unless it's with a new recipe (taco's/chili/etc) since there's never any leftover.

ps. If there's a thread I missed on reheating for catering please feel free to slap me, post, and move on.

I think I can fit a good 3 on each grate, meaning 6 total (thank you costco). Then cook a brisket (or two) on the BGE, if I can get a raised grate.

For those who have catered, what's the best way to keep pulled pork and brisket moist in pans? This is the first time I've had to cook for the masses with having to worry about food lasting more than 20 min....:confused:

Back