First packer tomorrow on newly built UDS! It's like Xmas Eve.

DeepElemCue

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I get pretty excited about smoking even if it's on the Weber Kettle, but I am having a hard time sleeping. The brisket is 14.5 lbs untrimmed and I'm not sure if I should trim it up tonight and rub it or wait until tomorrow. Not sure how long it's gonna take on the UDS. Fat up or fat down? Flip it half way through? Very top rack of the UDS or the one I put 8 inches below that one? So many questions........

If it were me...

1 - Get your UDS ready. It'll take some time to settle into temp.
2 - Start trimming the brisket
3 - Season with salt, pepper, maybe some granulated garlic
4 - I have 3 racks on my UDS. The bottom gets a disposable aluminum pan. The second gets my brisket. The third (highest) rarely gets used unless I need it for other stuff (MOINKS, Ribs, or whatever).
5 - Fat side up, or down. For me, I put it in fat side down. But there is much debate and I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. I don't flip.

Good luck! Take a few notes. Don't drink too much. If you like or don't like what you did, change it for the next time. It's a process.

This is a good video too. Aaron Franklin Brisket. Watch for trimming and seasoning.

[ame]http://youtu.be/VmTzdMHu5KU[/ame]

What chicagokp said. One thing to remember is if you change anything in your next cook. Change only one thing. If you change too many things you will not know what made it better.

All good advice. I use the top rack and do fat side down. I think it helps the bark develop a little better but personal preference. Have fun and enjoy!

Fat to the fire on direct heat always! I always fire the drum then do my prep . It only takes 10-15 minutes to wash, dry,trim & rub a packer.

Fat to the fire on direct heat always! I always fire the drum then do my prep . It only takes 10-15 minutes to wash, dry,trim & rub a packer.

It is his first packer. I would add 10 minutes to that.

.jpg

It's almost smiling as wide as me....how did I live this long without a UDS. It took 8 hours to do the brisket. I didn't inject or crutch and I only rubbed with salt and pepper. Trimmed it like the video showed. So juicy and tender. I love my UDS!!

Oh my.. yum! UDS love. I can't wait to build mine. So far I've been a DIY smoker (as the only smoker I have right now is Mini WSM) :)

I would hit that like a Rottweiler on an unattended sandwich. I go fat side down, usually on my lower grate. Lump with cherry chunks, turns out good for me.

Back