The pork fat burn was so worth it! (pron)

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I know this is a touchy subject for some but, we've all most likely run into it at some point, the dreaded discussion of which people prefer Pork cooked on the smoker and then pulled or Pork cooked in a :shudder: crock pot and then pulled. For the most part, this discussion doesn't come up regularly in my household because, my wife and family have come to understand the fine quality of a good bark and appreciate the labor of love that is smoking.
However...
Recently a request was put in for a pork roast to be prepared for a party specifically in the dreaded crockpot. The request was not put into me personally but, there were some mild merits to it. The main reasoning was, they aren't big fans of bark :shock:, they intended to hold the meat in a crock pot, they believed that it was more tender :confused:, and more flavorful :crazy:.
Instead of taking the immediate stance of hostility towards this situation, being as I wasn't the one that was asked to prepare it in this manner, it got me to contemplating. I decided it was to do some experimenting and change up the way I cook pork to see what it might yield.
I started off by tossing a load of coals into the UDS along with some peach wood.
mms_picture-7.jpg

Then on went the first grate and the taracotta defuser.
1005101038.jpg

Then it was time to whip out my meat. A nice 9lb butt!
mms_picture-3.jpg

Next I mixed up a whole new rub and used half the sugar that I normally would.
mms_picture-8.jpg

I then slice the fat cap almost all the way through and pealed it back.
mms_picture-4.jpg

The rub was then applied.
mms_picture-5.jpg

and the fat cap replaced.
mms_picture-6.jpg

Now my reasoning for doing this is simple, most of the spices won't make it through the fat cap so any seasoning applied is just mainly flavoring the fat and barely the meat but, by doing it this way, the fats melting into the meat would draw the spices in along with them. Next was to apply rub to the rest of the butt.
mms_picture-2.jpg

Then onto the UDS it went, fat cap side up.
mms_picture-1.jpg

The UDS started at 250 but, it was left unattended and the wind picked up so, when I got back 4 hours later, it had risen to 300. But the butt was looking great!
mms_picture.jpg

At this point I placed it inside a foil pan with the fat cap down and covered it with foil. It sat in the UDS for another 3 hours until it hit 200 internally.
Now...
This point in the story, is where things go a little bad. I go to take the butt off the UDS and I decided to just use a couple of pot holders. I didn't realize what monster I had created, by sealing up the butt in foil, the fat had completely liquified and no moisture escaped. When I picked it up off the UDS and started to carry it in, the pan heaping with liquid pork fat and juice bent, and the liquid rushed down my wrist. Shockingly, I didn't drop the pork, immediately. Infact I realized I was about to be in a ton of pain before the pain actually hit and I set the tray down on the ground. The dogs immediately took this as a sign that the food was theirs and began swarming, not wanting my butt to become dog food. I picked it up and headed for the door. The pain finally hit when I got to the door and found I had no free hand to open it. I began kicking the door, my wife came running, once the door was open, I ran into the kitchen and set the pork next to the sink where I cranked on the cold water full blast and proceeded to stand there for 20 minutes. Here is what it looked like after 30 minutes had gone by.
1005101854.jpg

While I was standing there at the sink, I was using my free hand to pull apart the most juciest pork roast I have ever cooked. I took a hunk of it and knew that once I had tasted it, the burn was totally worth it. I would attempt to fully describe how good this tasted but wouldn't do it justice. In short, it had great smoke flavor with a nice ring and the bark tasted awesome just like you would expect from cooking a butt on a smoker but, it was sooooooo juicy and the flavors of the seasoning were in every bit of the meat. The only thing I might have changed was letting it go for another half hour or letting it rest for longer. I hope to put some pics of it on here soon seeing as I managed to horde half of the butt to myself. One thing I know for sure though, I have a way of cooking a butt now that no family member will argue over as the best they have ever had. To quote Craig Ferguson "It's like sex in my mouth!"
Thanks for looking.

Hahaha brother I dont mean to laugh at your pain, but I busted a gut at your descripton! Mostly because I have been in that same exact situation fighting away dogs and kicking the door due to my disability of only having two hands! With one of them getting hotter by the second thanks to a potholder with a hole in it!

Oh well as long as the pork came out good.

OUCH!! You story had me laughing out loud too! :p
I have been known to do some dumb stunts, but this one is right up there.
Even took time to take pics :thumb:
I feel sorry for your dogs though.
Thanks for sharing

Edit. Thanks for sharing the "fat cap flap trick"
I'll try and remember that next time

Paul

Dude, what a ride. So sorry bout the burn, dang! But, since bidness is bidness, what did you do different in your experimentation? I'm going to my corner now.

not to derail, but, if you ever get a burn spread a large amount of mustard on your burn. It takes away the pain almost immediately and helps to eliminate blistering and scarring.

I've heard that before, in this case, I kept it in either cold water or an ice pack on it until the next morning. It hasn't blistered yet, and the pain is almost totally gone.

Dude, what a ride. So sorry bout the burn, dang! But, since bidness is bidness, what did you do different in your experimentation? I'm going to my corner now.

First thing I did different was seasoning under the fat cap and leaving it on. The second thing was I didn't use any slather this time. The third was I cut my normal sugar amount that I would use in my rub in half. Fourth, left the fat cap on instead of making delicious Fat cap snacks out of it. Basically I changed the whole way I'd been making them before.

I've heard that before, in this case, I kept it in either cold water or an ice pack on it until the next morning. It hasn't blistered yet, and the pain is almost totally gone.

Looks painful for sure... I use butter for burns!! Always have, don't know why... Grandma thing. And it works! :) lol

Cheers Bro. Hope it doesn't blister! That burnt keg above is harsh!

"Then it was time to whip out my meat. A nice 9lb butt! ".................. hahaha, I lost it when i read that description of preparing the butt. On a serious note, sorry about the burn and also thanks for that fat cap trick, gonna give it a try next time around.

Good thing the liquid fat didn't spill directly over the coals! I've had that happen before and it will light up the night sky in a hurry!

looks like you better soak that burn in cider:laugh: i had the same thing happen to me once now you know what to expect and gently move your meat

Back