• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Help me pick my smoker

mrboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Have smoked on the Webers and built a UDS, but finally the 'ol lady says I can get a real smoker.

Price range is $1000 - 1500 with shipping.

Dream smoker would be a Meadow Creek TS60, but that ain't happening.

I want to get a barrel shaped reverse flow smoker... that knocks out the Lang and Peoria Cookers.

I live in Central Illinois, so something made between Chicago, Indy and St. Louis would be something I could pick up.

Bullheads is a local fabricator: http://bullheadsbbq.com/our-smokers---grills.html

I'd like to have any suggestions you might have.

Thanks in advance.

I bought a Backwoods G2 Chubby from the St. Louis BBQ Store yesterday...great folks to deal with and they have a wide selection of cookers to choose from.

If you have a dream smoker. I would save til you can afford it. Instant gratification isn't going to do it. You will always still want the dream.

If you have a dream smoker. I would save til you can afford it. Instant gratification isn't going to do it. You will always still want the dream.

THIS!!!!

It doesn't matter if the Meadow Creek is the worst smoker in the world(its not but go with me here) and you're the only man on earth that thinks it great..... You won't be truly happy till you have it. Sure, you'll be tickled to have something right NOW, but sooner or later you'll be thinkin bout that dream smoker.

If you didn't already have good smokers I'd say pull the trigger on what you can get now. But, that's not the case. So, save up and get the one you really really want.

lang 36? I'm not for certain on Humphrey's yet, i'll be making a post on them next week

Have smoked on the Webers and built a UDS, but finally the 'ol lady says I can get a real smoker.

Sorry, I have to say this, but a UDS / WSM are *real* smokers. Real enough anyways for Harry Soo to beat everyone in the nation in chicken.

Sorry, I have to say this, but a UDS / WSM are *real* smokers. Real enough anyways for Harry Soo to beat everyone in the nation in chicken.

Ummmmm so why are you getting a Bandera??????? :roll:

HeHe. :tongue:

Instant gratification is great trust me. Wife says to go ahead you better go ahead now before she changes her mind. Traeger is a great option. I bought mine recently and chose it over a WSM due to some things I thought were design flaws in the WSM. I love my traeger. You can get really good smoke flavor just leave it on smoke setting longer than suggested in their cook book. I just did my best pulled pork ever and even got bark that was actually amazing. No foil at all and perfect tenderness. I want a good offset but it's out of my budget so I got a traeger junior elite. Best purchase ever.

Since Bullheads is local and they look to be very solidly built I would go talk with them and see if they can make you your DREAM smoker in your price range. Face to Face is always a good thing might be able to cut a deal with them on one.

Hey tell you what, I found this one locally that is made in Missouri I believe....just might fit the bill. I'll find out the builder and get back to you in a couple days.

Back