Party for 50 with Stumps Baby?

Reignman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi All. I've been asked by a buddy to cook up some food for a party of about 50 people. I only have a Stumps Baby and I'm wondering if its logistically possible to do this efficiently and safely.

Any tips or insights on how to make this happen would be appreciated. FYI: they are wanting brisket along with ribs or pulled pork...plus sides but I can do all the sides ahead of time and just warm them up.

Thanks a bunch.

R.

The most I have ever cooked on my Baby was 3- 8 pound pork butts at the same time and I used the third shelf down and removed the top two. If the ribs were not too thick you may be able to get 3 racks of St. Louies on the very top shelf at the same time as the butts, but as I am sure you know the lower right hand shelf gets a little hot. You would probably be better off cooking the meat in two cooks. I hope someone comes along and can tell you how much meat it takes to feed 50. Hope this helps some.

Thanks Wornslick. I'm figuring about 12 racks of ribs plus then 10 lbs of either PP or Brisket.....not sure if this is enough or not.

I am guesstimating doing the 10 lbs of big meat first and then hold it while the ribs are cooking...though I can't fit 12 racks all at once in Stumpy. So this is where I get a bit worried about logistics.

Edit: I guess I could also cook the PP or Brisket a day ahead and make sure to properly store it overnight so that the day of the event, I could focus on the ribs only...then just warm the PP/Brisket up for a few hours.

Thanks Wornslick. I'm figuring about 12 racks of ribs plus then 10 lbs of either PP or Brisket.....not sure if this is enough or not.

I am guesstimating doing the 10 lbs of big meat first and then hold it while the ribs are cooking...though I can't fit 12 racks all at once in Stumpy. So this is where I get a bit worried about logistics.

Edit: I guess I could also cook the PP or Brisket a day ahead and make sure to properly store it overnight so that the day of the event, I could focus on the ribs only...then just warm the PP/Brisket up for a few hours.

With the amount of meat you are talking about you will have to cook it in two days, or another idea is doing the butts overnight and then the ribs the following day. Even with the Stumps I still set the alarm a couple of times a night to check on it on a over night cook. I cannot help you with a brisket, never done one on the Stumps and with the price of them here, I never will. :becky: The oven is your friend on a cook like this. BTW, you never said if you are planning on spares or Baby Backs.

I did a brisket recently using Bludawg's method and it turned out awesome...if you ever get a a chance to try it, I highly recommend it.

As far as ribs, I'm going with baby backs...in my neck of the woods, spares are hard to come by.

Reignman, I think your numbers are a little off. At least from what I would do. Is this party acting as a meal or just an appetizer kind of thing? If it is the meal, I would plan on 1/3 lb meat per person. Especially if it is self-serve. That would put you at needing about 17 pounds of finished product on the butts, which would be about 35 pounds or 4-5 butts. For the ribs I would say that you would feed 3-4 people per rack. So your 12 racks is not too far off. I would maybe throw an extra rack or two on there to be safe.

I would definately start doing the big meats early. Cook the butts a day or two in advance. Pull it and put it in foil pans. Cover with foil and put it in the fridge. You can reheat that in the oven easy. As far as the ribs go, do you foil at all? I would say that you could start your ribs in the smoker for 2 hours or so. Get the color you want then foil them and finish them off in the oven. Put the next set on the smoker and do the same. Don't be scared about reheating the butts. I personally do it and it turns out great all the time.

Last edited:
Thanks Smokin'. This party is expecting a meal out of everything. Do you reheat the butts in the smoker or just add some liquid and reheat in the oven? What about brisket...could the same reheating be done as well after its been wrapped for a day or two in the fridge?

As far as the ribs, I do foil. I generally smoke for 2 hrs then spritz and foil for another hour and then remove from foil and firm up for another 45 mins - 1 hour with a light saucing then rest. So are you saying that I could basically do the initial smoke for a couple hours and then do all the finishing and firming with the oven? I assume the oven temp would be set to the same as the pit for both ribs and rewarming the butte/brisket?

Thanks Smokin'. This party is expecting a meal out of everything. Do you reheat the butts in the smoker or just add some liquid and reheat in the oven? What about brisket...could the same reheating be done as well after its been wrapped for a day or two in the fridge?

As far as the ribs, I do foil. I generally smoke for 2 hrs then spritz and foil for another hour and then remove from foil and firm up for another 45 mins - 1 hour with a light saucing then rest. So are you saying that I could basically do the initial smoke for a couple hours and then do all the finishing and firming with the oven? I assume the oven temp would be set to the same as the pit for both ribs and rewarming the butte/brisket?

I am not a big brisket guy, being from South Carolina everything around here is pork. Someone else will have to chime in on that one. When I pull my butts off the smoker, I let them rest for 2 hours, pull, and put into foil pans. I cover them with foil and into the fridge they go. I reheat them in the oven. I usually add some of the au jus from the foil or I find that coca-cola works really well. I am not a big applejuice fan. As for the ribs, yes. Smoke them for 2 hours or until you get your desired color. After that, pull them...I wrap in saran wrap at this point and put in the freezer for rapid cooling, then move to the fridge. When you are ready to reheat wrap them in foil and stick them in the oven. 350 degrees is fine for both the butts and the ribs. That way you are not waiting as long. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Back