Going Mobile.. Food Truck or Trailer? Need Opinions and Advice

GAsouthern

Reaction score
Some of you all may have seen my other thread about smoker selection. I've narrowed it down to the cooker I will purchase. My next question is what works best, I have two options on what to build:

A step van, built the way I'd like it and a trailer mounted smoker

or

a concession style trailer with a back porch for the smoker pulled by one of my trucks (Ram 3500 diesel).

Anyone have any real world results? Which has worked better for you?

Also if I do a step van I will purchase the van and personally build it from there. Same deal with the trailer, I like the looks of the Southern Yankee trailers.

looking forward to hearing responses to this, since im looking into the possibility of catering/vending myself. Right now Im trying to gather the info of what all permits/paperwork i have to go through....pretty much where and how to get started... Ive looked at all of the threads on here but really havent gotten the answers ive been searching.
My 2 cents on the subject would be go with the porch trailer. Yes you are looking at extra $$$$ but the convenience will be greater. With the trailer you get your storage, coverage for you and your smokers, refrigeration, sinks, ect.... Where as the pull behind smoker you are going to need to deal with canopies or tents, searching for water and electricity.

you need to talk with your local department of health and get all their requirements for mobile units. If you're going to build it yourself you'll have to follow these down to the exact letter. Sometimes it's best to find a truck or trailer that was used for some other sort of food concession, but previously registered with the local DOH, makes transferring, and starting it all up a lot easier.

I'm very familiar with the local and state laws as I'm currently cooking for the county (various events, county sports and school ball games). I've already gotten their requirements which isn't strenuous. I'd rather not buy a unit already in use simply because I could build what I want and how I want for the same cost or less. I've searched what people are selling units already in use for and while they may be priced fairly, I'd rather do it myself for the same money.

My 2 cents on the subject would be go with the porch trailer. Yes you are looking at extra $$$$ but the convenience will be greater. With the trailer you get your storage, coverage for you and your smokers, refrigeration, sinks, ect.... Where as the pull behind smoker you are going to need to deal with canopies or tents, searching for water and electricity.

pull behind smoker trailer would be pulled by a food truck/step van which will have sinks, refrigerators, water and electricity.

I also would go with the porch trailer. It will keep the heat out side. If you have the ability to build it your self the savings will be about half the cost of buying. If you want to set up on the side of the road you will have to find a location where people have access to bathroom facilities. Just remember to size your sinks to the largest pots you will have to submerge.

I have a mobile BBQ trailer and works best for me. Not sure they will approve a pull behind smoker unless you leave it stationary in a screen building with a hand wash sink. The regs are way too thick. You will have an easier time with a trailer with a built in smoker. Make sure it has the requirements of Dehec. 3 compartment sinks w separate hand wash sink, hot water ect.... Plus you will need a base station. Just my thoughts.

Back