Knife Sharpening

buccaneer

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I have friends who have bought the new system sharpeners, all sorts of brands and designs.
I don't have any friends with sharper knives than mine.
That is why I still maintain the outback attitude I grew up with, enforced at every turn and in all honesty, born of neccesity I guess.
There were few shops and when things break or go wrong you are better off being as skilled as you can be.
That's why I live in the city now.

So, here it is.
The new Japanese developed grit stones are amazing.
KnifeStone_zps78b2a9d9.jpg

I was five when I learned to use a stone, and it was my job.
I would sit in a bunch of adults and they would pass me their knives and take a break while I worked it and put a good edge back on.
Everyone had a job back then.
Well, these new stones are just incredible in comparison, and if I were to tell you what I really believe is the best thing you could choose, it would be to buy one and watch some youtube tutorials or online vids by experts and practice on some inexpensive knives.
If a five year old can learn this skill, then I reckon you can...even if you are American (Hah, gottcha...you KNEW I was gunna, somewhere :laugh)
I bought a JCK stone from these guys
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/WhetStonesForSale.html
delivery within the week.
It is faster and a universal skill, and the sharpness cannot be beaten.
You no longer have to depend on your system all working and breakages or wrong adjustments, order new parts and fart around....you put the stone on the table and wet it and in 5 minutes you have a gleaming razor sharp edge.
Wash the stone and you are done.
Now, if you are out bush or somewhere and you have no sharpener you can , with a little ingenuity, use your skill with some other hard surface and still improve an edge!!
Plus, womenfolk think it is way manly!:icon_shy

What grit did you get? And isn't that a fancy pants carry for a big ol' outdoorsy type like you?

What grit did you get? And isn't that a fancy pants carry for a big ol' outdoorsy type like you?

I got the basic dual 4000/1000 landarc.
Yes, but I have worked hard for decades to get some metrosexual sofistimacation going on.
They no longer allow me to enter rodeo's, pardner:icon_blush:

My guy charges me $6 per knife,which I feel is fair for the quality job I get. At $65 it seems like a worthwhile investment. Thanks for posting!

I cant get an edge on a knife if my life depended on it. I bought an electric chefs choice

That is the way I have sharpened knives, chisels and gouges forever.... I use a coarse diamond stone, then move to 2 different grits of Japanese water stones and finish the knives with a leather strop until it shines at you. The test for sharpness is the ability to cut the hairs on my leg or arm.
Glad to see other people still do it that way.

But I agree with Landarc. Pretty fancy pants knife there....... :)

I've been doing a bunch of reading on this subject since I asked you about it Bucc, which led me to another forum, which I will not post here as it I believe is against the TOU, considering how often we bring up knives. I'm in agreement with this mentality. I'm going the route of putting a good, sharp edge the manual method. Seems like a lot more fun in either event.

Hey Buccs how about you travel to the states and give me a demonstration. I'll supply the knives and the stone if you can figure out a way to get here. I'd even buy you a beer or two.

Looks like a Hiro BM custom Damascus belt knife, from Seki City, Japan. I can't tell if it;s the lighting or the actual blade, but, it looks like true Damascus, and not the laminated stainless they do in Seki City.

Thanks for posting, bucc - good stuff!

I haven't looked at that site in a while. Most excellent knife pron there. :thumb:

I will be picking one of these up for sure. I can imagine now the look on my wife's face when I tell her I'm going out into the garage to sharpen my knives. :roll:

I sharpen in my kitchen. You need good light to do a good job sharpening a knife. If you can afford it, a strop or strop stone (even better) is a good investment.

Actually, I generally prefer not to take my knife beyond 4000 grit for kitchen work. The super fine polish of finer stones and hand-polished edges feels great, and the whole slicing paper thing is cool. But, a 3000 to 4000 grit edge leaves a little tooth, it makes starting cuts a lot nicer and gives the blade a 'feel' when cutting.

As far as a strop is concerned, I've heard that the "fuzzy" side of an old belt lathered up with some jewelers rouge works well. Thoughts?

That is what I was taught and did for years. But, I was introduced to a block of metal, with a leather strip glued to the top. The leather was more like the leather on a baseball glove. It was loaded with a fine paste. This served as the strop, and was nice in that it was flat and rigid.

The stone looks great. I'll order one.
I find my dexter Russell steel really extends the time before I need to use a stone. But what usually happens it leave it so long my wife starts to pester me complaining her favourite knives are blunt. I go to a guy that goes by the handle of John F Sharp! He says he sharpens so they are Fing sharp. Me in my haste last time cleaned out all knives including steak knives. Forty three in all at $5 per knife. Then the wife complains that I took some of those cheapie small knives that cost less than the sharpening. She was right of course but at least all my knives were up to scratch again.
John

isn't that a fancy pants carry for a big ol' outdoorsy type like you?
But I agree with Landarc. Pretty fancy pants knife there....... :)
:Cry:

Youz are picking on me and my mascularlinity!:Cry:

the crying proves I am so tough I will cry whenever I want and not give a toss!

This must be cross dressed...no...wait...addressed!:mad:

Last edited:
Back