Roadtrip from Louisiana to south Carolina via tennessee

franzzz

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I need your help. I'm planning a roadtrip for the next year. I have 15-20 days and I want start from New Orleans and finish to Charlotte or Charleston. Do you have any ideas or suggestion?
I want visit history place, nature place and of course the most famous Bbq joint!!!
Mappa

Last edited:
You'd only have to really worry about Southern Louisiana and Coastal Carolina for your route. However, May, September/October in the States you'll travel through can be prone to tornado activity. Generally you only have to worry when there are severe thunderstorm forecasts and you get plenty of warning about those.

If you'll be driving, you might want to consider the Natchez Trace Parkway. Loads of scenery and history.

http://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm

Ok, thanks. I tought to a visit to Natchez but i didn't know the Nantchez Trace Parkway

Ok, thank you very much :D What can you say me about the hurricane season? And what can I see near New Orleans. I thought to visit Baton Rouge and a plantation. Do you have any tip?

As for the hurricane season, Aug-Oct is usually the active time. But we have not had one hit the area in several years. That's not to say this year will not be the year. if one does hit, there will be plenty of information and your best bet would to be to get out of downtown New Orleans. It's good you are aware but I would not be too worried about it. Most hurricanes are Cat 1's with some rain and wind (in the 74-80 MPH range). Those winds don't do much damage. Keep in mind when Katrina hit New Orleans in 2005, it was a Cat 5 and it was huge. Storms like that probably come once in a lifetime.

If you want to see plantation homes, Oak Alley is probably the most famous. They have daily tours. Here's the web site link.
http://www.oakalleyplantation.com/
There are some cemetery tours that are kind of neat in the French Quarter, especially the ones that take you to Marie Laveau's tomb. There are several stands in the French Quarter that have cemetery tour info and where you can book. I personally have not been on a cemetery tour but I normally just walk around and check them out on my own.

New Orleans also offers a river boat cruise down the Mississippi. it's been several years since I took the cruise but it is nice.

Here's another link to a web site that offers tours in the New Orleans area.
http://www.bigeasytours.us/?event=offer.type&productType=PLANTATION&mpt=349&name=Plantation%20Tours%20from%20New%20Orleans

if you want to do a Swamp Tour, I suggest Zams Swamp Tours. It is located about 45 min South of New Orleans. They have an onsite restaurant that serves great seafood and if they have fried frog legs, go for them.
They do not have a web site, but have included their ph# and a link.
985-633-7881 (address: 136 Kraemer Bayou Rd, Thibodaux, LA 70301)
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...am_s_Bayou_Swamp_Tours-Kraemer_Louisiana.html

Here's a link for info on Baton Rouge.
http://www.visitbatonrouge.com/tours/
If you will be in town during an LSU football game, I would highly recommend trying to get tickets. that's if you are a football fan. There are several plantation type homes enroute from New Orleans to Baton Rouge. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Baton Rouge but it is a nice place to visit.

Let me know if you need anything else.

When you get closer to your trip, if you have any questions, send me a PM and I will be happy to answer.

Prior to your trip, you can check the weather/news online at WDSU.com or WWLTV.com. They also have apps you can download if you are interested.

Also, since you will be in New Orleans, you need to check out the Superdome and Champions Square.

Ok, you'd been very helpful to me. Do you have any other suggestion for the rest of the trip?
I think I'll come on May so I can go at Memphis in May BBQ world championship :D

Ok, you'd been very helpful to me. Do you have any other suggestion for the rest of the trip?
I think I'll come on May so I can go at Memphis in May BBQ world championship :D

Unless you have someone you know in Memphis where you can stay, I'd already be making inquiries about hotel reservations. Not necessarily make reservations yet, but definitely start making inquiries.

I would like to check out Memphis in May but it will probably be in two years. I agree with deguerre. you probably need to make reservations now for your Memphis trip. I would try and stay as close to where the competition is so you can walk. Not sure exactly where the competition is held but I guess it would be around the Beale Street area.

I'm looking for the dates of the bbq contest on 2015 but I don't have find any information about this

I think the festival lasts a full month with the BBQ cook off the last weekend. I'm not certain but you may be able to get on the festival's web site and you can view past dates to determine when the cook-off will be. I've also heard they have a nice music fest in May as well.

Back