• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Recommendations for great Q joint(s) in Memphis

Lake Dogs

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Apparently I've spoiled my brother inlaw with the Q. He's heading to Memphis in 2 weeks. Rather than eating at the standard tourist BBQ joints, he'd rather have really damned good BBQ. In Memphis. Thoughts?

He's already made the mistake of Corky's (ribs; very dry; not the rub, but the rib meat wasn't moist at all). Mind you, I've been serving competition ribs and pulled pork.

Corkys and Rendezvous both suck.
Make the trek a few hours north on highway 55 to St. Louis for some real BBQ.

Memphis doesn't know how to cook meat.....but they make a wicked pot of baked beans.

The guy from St. Louis is either drunk, delusional, or both. :wink:

My favorite is Fat Larry's. I would also recommend Ty's, Tom's, and the BBQ Shop.

I agree with the others about Corky's and the Rendezvous. Nothing but tourist traps, especially the Rendezvous. I would avoid both of them like the plague.

Lots of people rave about Cozy Corner, but I have never been there. You don't want to be in that neighborhood after dark, but I would have no problem going there during the daytime. It's fairly far from where I live and work, and I just haven't gotten around to going.

I grew up in Memphis and still visit family there when I can. When I go down there, 3 things will happen.

Germantown Commisary for BBQ nachos.

Pete and Sams for BBQ pizza.

Central BBQ (either location) for lunch.

Lots of people rave about Cozy Corner, but I have never been there. You don't want to be in that neighborhood after dark, but I would have no problem going there during the daytime. It's fairly far from where I live and work, and I just haven't gotten around to going.

... and you're the second person who told me that I shouldn't have walked the mile or so to Cozy Corner. It didn't seem to bad to me at the time. :doh:

The following I believe as the 100% truth.

The guy from St. Louis is either drunk, delusional, or both. :wink:
"Yes" :becky:

But seriously.....

Central BBQ (either location) for lunch.
I can't recall her name, but she was on the show "BBQ Pitmasters".

Gus' has some really spicey great fried chicken.

I have heard those recommendations from multiple sources. I've been to Memphis a few times, and so far, haven't had anything worthwhile. The optimist in me can't help but to believe the town has some amazing BBQ, I just haven't found it yet. I think there are places popping up that are relying on the reputation of the city to 'trap' enough tourists that they can make a living. To date, I've yet to find a place I'd recommend, despite spending a chunk of change to feed my family each and every time we drive through. I have very high hopes the town can live up to it's reputation. The romantic in me will continue to spend money there until I find it. I am also watching the thread in hopes there's a general consensus that can lead me and my family to the doorstep of a BBQ shack that is worthy of the reputation of the name "Memphis BBQ".

I am curious as heck about Spicy chicken.

A note on the Rendezvous. Although I hear from all of you that it is bad, and I trust that Guerry would never lead me wrong (no really, I do). I have had several people visit Memphis and all of them rave about the place. One told me it was the best BBQ she had ever eaten, better by far than anything she had eaten in Texas or Kansas City. So, there must be something that non-BBQ people must love.

I am curious as heck about Spicy chicken.

A note on the Rendezvous. Although I hear from all of you that it is bad, and I trust that Guerry would never lead me wrong (no really, I do). I have had several people visit Memphis and all of them rave about the place. One told me it was the best BBQ she had ever eaten, better by far than anything she had eaten in Texas or Kansas City. So, there must be something that non-BBQ people must love.

Look, the Rendezvous must be doing something right or they wouldn't have a gazillion people packed in there almost every night of the week. It is a fun place to go because it is in a basement down an alley, they have these really cool waiters with lots of personality who have been there for decades, and the food isn't really that bad if you don't know any better.

However, those world famous ribs aren't even BBQ. They are chargrilled over a direct flame for an hour and a half or so and, as a result, they are dry and chewy. I don't mean dry as in "dry rub dry". I mean dry as in dry meat. I couldn't eat them without a lot of that rub they have, which has Greek seasoning in it, and the sauce that you can put on at the table. The rub and the sauce are good.

The bottom line is that most people wouldn't know good BBQ if it hit them in the face because they have never had it. The Rendezvous is a fun atmosphere, the beer is cold, and people usually have a good time there. The only time I go there is when friends or business associates from out of town want to go because it is one of the Memphis things to do for tourists: Graceland, Beale Street, and the Rendezvous.

To be fair, the pulled pork actually isn't bad, and they make a pretty good sausage and cheese plate that goes well with all that cold beer. As far as BBQ joints in Memphis go, however, it is near the bottom of my list.

Look, the Rendezvous must be doing something right or they wouldn't have a gazillion people packed in there almost every night of the week. It is a fun place to go because it is in a basement down an alley, they have these really cool waiters with lots of personality who have been there for decades, and the food isn't really that bad if you don't know any better.

However, those world famous ribs aren't even BBQ. They are chargrilled over a direct flame for an hour and a half or so and, as a result, they are dry and chewy. I don't mean dry as in "dry rub dry". I mean dry as in dry meat. I couldn't eat them without a lot of that rub they have, which has Greek seasoning in it, and the sauce that you can put on at the table. The rub and the sauce are good.

The bottom line is that most people wouldn't know good BBQ if it hit them in the face because they have never had it. The Rendezvous is a fun atmosphere, the beer is cold, and people usually have a good time there. The only time I go there is when friends or business associates from out of town want to go because it is one of the Memphis things to do for tourists: Graceland, Beale Street, and the Rendezvous.

To be fair, the pulled pork actually isn't bad, and they make a pretty good sausage and cheese plate that goes well with all that cold beer. As far as BBQ joints in Memphis go, however, it is near the bottom of my list.

I agree with everything Memphis Q said. It is a fun place to go and in a great setting. I went there on my last day in Memphis because it is one of those institutions you have to visit. I don't regret it at all. I was with about 8 people, half of whom I'd taken to Cozy Corner a couple days before. Those who had been to Cozy Corner thought the Rendezvous was pretty bad. Those who hadn't been, thought it was pretty good. However, we all had a good time.

About 20 minutes south of Memphis in Horn Lake MS is Melissa Cookstons Memphis BBQ Cmpany. Kind of a fancy urbann BBQ theme restaurant but we really enjoyed the Q

The family and I made the trip to Memphis awhile back and went to the top attractions, Graceland, Beale Street, Sun Records and of course the Rendezvous, and I knew exactly what kind of ribs I was getting, wasn't the best I have ever had but far from the worst, just happy to say I have been there once. My biggest regret was the day we had to leave for Nashville, Memphis in May was starting its first day, what a smell!!!!

For what it's worth, I don't even think the Rendezvous claims that their ribs are BBQ.

As far as Central BBQ goes, the only location that I have been to is the one on Summer Ave., and I have been underwhelmed every time I have been there. I have never been to the original location. The Summer location is weird because it used to be a Red Lobster and still kind of feels like one except you order at the counter and then somebody comes looking for you in this big cavernous place to bring you your food. I have no problem with counter service, and I actually prefer it, but that place just doesn't "feel" like a BBQ joint.

Lots of people like Central, but the times I have been there, the meats that I had were, for the most part, bland and dry with little smoke flavor. The brisket was as tough as shoe leather. I have had fairly decent ribs there on occasion, but the quality is very inconsistent.

The mark of any good BBQ joint is consistency. It shouldn't be a crap shoot every time you walk in the place. There is a Corky's near my house that is the same way. I haven't been inside a Corky's in years, but sometimes I will go through the drive-through at the one near my house and get some dry ribs because it's convenient. Sometimes the ribs are really good and sometimes I wouldn't feed them to my dog.

I would place the Germantown Commisary around the middle of the pack. They turn out pretty good product in a funky little joint that used to be an old country store when Germantown, a suburb of Memphis, was out in the boondocks. I'm not crazy about their sauce. It's basically just hopped-up ketchup (a pet peeve of mine).

There is a place called One and Only that is near my office that could be really good if they would just get some smoke into their meat. Their food is really moist and tender, but the smoke flavor is just not there. Great service with a very friendly staff, though, and their desserts will rock your world.

About 20 minutes south of Memphis in Horn Lake MS is Melissa Cookstons Memphis BBQ Cmpany. Kind of a fancy urbann BBQ theme restaurant but we really enjoyed the Q

I agree with this. Memphis Barbecue Company is very good and is about as close to downtown Memphis as the original Corky's is. It is in a building in the parking lot of a big shopping center that used to house a chain restaurant, but don't let the building or where it is located dissuade you from going there. These folks know what they are doing and execute it well.

Everything that I have had there has been very good. It is a sit-down place and very large, but the service is great and they get you in and out pretty quickly even during a crowded lunch hour. I have seen Melissa there, but I'm not sure if she is there all the time. I think they have a couple of other locations in other states. Her co-owner is also a big time competitor, but I can't recall his name off the top of my head.

Memphis Barbecue Company manages to consistently turn out great quality que on a large scale, something that lots of places in the Memphis area have tried but very few have succeeded at. They don't have a big reputation yet, but I think that's only because they haven't been open very long. They are near the top of my list with the others that I have recommended.

Back