FEC 120 vs Southern Pride SC-200-SM

SmokestackP

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm debating between the Fast Eddy's Cookshack 120 and the Southern Pride SC-200-SM. If you know anything or have experience with either- any input would be greatly appreciated! Smoke on!!

:clap2:

Welp, one obvious difference is the Southern Pride is electrically heated, so it would be illegal for most competitions. For restaurant use, that would make it simpler to operate than the pellet driven FEC120 though.

Other than both having a stainless steel cabinet, these two smokers are very different animals.

I have both, I could help more if you tell us what you plan on doing with them. This last week I helped co hosted a restaurant class and we cooked BB's on an electric unit and some on the 120. All 25 students picked the 120 for the color and flavor. Moisture was about the same maybe just a little better with the electric. Both cookers have there place in BBQ. What is your plan and maybe we can help more.

Re: Butcher BBQ

Thanks for the replies. I am starting a bbq food truck & catering service and will be cooking brisket, ribs, pork, chicken & turkey, primarily. I will be cooking off the truck and need something consistent and easy as I don't want to be up checking on temps and feeding the fire at 2, 3, 4 in the morning. Thanks again for the replies-

For food truck operation, you should consider the electric side of the equation. Make sure your generator will have enough capacity to power all your equipment. Electric heating elements can draw pretty hard.

We use a 120 for our food truck (not in our truck though) and for competitions.

It is pretty much set it and forget it and turns out some good BBQ. The power draw will be a lot less than an electric cooker which is important in a mobile setting. I wish we had more of our equipment on gas, a few tabletop warmers and a holding cabinet can pop a circuit pretty easy.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll answer the best I can.

I have both, I could help more if you tell us what you plan on doing with them. This last week I helped co hosted a restaurant class and we cooked BB's on an electric unit and some on the 120. All 25 students picked the 120 for the color and flavor. Moisture was about the same maybe just a little better with the electric. Both cookers have there place in BBQ. What is your plan and maybe we can help more.

I was at that class, and I agree with Butcher. After tasting and seeing both the electric smoked and pellet smoked, there is no doubt I go pellet.

There is lighter and heavier smoke flavor, and it is subjective on which is better. Pellets will be a little lighter, and stick burners a little heavier. When it comes to electric though, it is a different smoke flavor. To me, it almost tastes artificial. I am thinking it maybe has to do with the smoldering of the wood rather than burning. I enjoy the lighter smoke flavor from my fec120, and I enjoy the flavor from a well run offset, but just did not care for the electric smoked product.

Back