Marinade Express question

Cayman1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Marinade Express machine? Curious to know how well it works and whether it is durable enough to hold up to a competition schedule.

Yep have been looking at this for awhile... of course the BBQ package...

Not sure if it is just a gimmick or will bring value added, hovered over the buy now button several times without executing

Just ordered so we will find out how good it works and how durable it is.

If I have time to test before the next comp in two weeks, I will. Otherwise, probably jump right in.

I'm interested in how much flavor and tenderness will change from say a Ziploc, a vacuum sealed, to under-pressure of the machine.... If you are able, please post pictures and provide feedback. This inquiring mind wants to know.

I will, but since I haven't tried any other kind of vacuum briner I won't have any comparison.

been using a Reveo marinator electric vacuum tumbler for 5 or 6 years now and they do the job of getting good penetration of the marinade. Use it after injection by pulling a vacuum twice and then tumbling for 20 minutes. Then place the meat in an oversize zip locks and keep on ice until ready to cook. Shortens the marinate time by half with minimal fuss.

The one I have advertises five pound capacity and it will hold one brisket or pork butt, three racks of spares and 18 chicken thighs.

Couple of issues were the vacuum attachment to the tumbler bowl has a tendency to break with heavy use so contacted the manufacturer and bought a hand full. Also, be careful about getting liquid in the vacuum line as it can exhaust onto the electronics inside and cause failure. Been there done that.

I just keep it in the original packaging and store in a tub until used and then wash and repackage.

Use it after injection by pulling a vacuum twice and then tumbling for 20 minutes.

So you inject then into the machine? Ever checked the penetration without injecting? My plan is to use some blue food coloring in water and see what the penetration is and how long to tumble. Have to sacrifice a butt, but can't think of any other way to find out how long to tumble to get complete penetration. Was hoping to be able to skip the injecting.

So you inject then into the machine? Ever checked the penetration without injecting? My plan is to use some blue food coloring in water and see what the penetration is and how long to tumble. Have to sacrifice a butt, but can't think of any other way to find out how long to tumble to get complete penetration. Was hoping to be able to skip the injecting.

You won't have to sacrifice the butt, you can just pretend you're eating smurf. :mrgreen:

I would test on some chicken breast at a much lower cost :thumb:

I'm gonna go all out Alton Brown here. Type of marinade/brine, pH levels, humidity, altitude grade of meat, etc...... More than just throwin chit in da farkin sucker (pun intended), IMHO

Found that the vac & tumble gave better distribution of the injection and eliminated the dark splotches often observed in the brisket.

the really pricey commercial unit pull a continuous vacuum while tumbling hence the injection step to make up for the low end vacuum before tumble unit.

Doubt one of my big briskets would fit in this unit, plus I really don't have a problem with staining.
Maybe the thing to try is to inject, then add brine to the unit, vacuum, and tumble. Really just guessing since I haven't received the machine yet. Big Poppa shipped and is on the way!

Would have loved one of the larger commercial units, but $1500 and up is just too much.

been using a Reveo marinator electric vacuum tumbler for 5 or 6 years now and they do the job of getting good penetration of the marinade. Use it after injection by pulling a vacuum twice and then tumbling for 20 minutes. Then place the meat in an oversize zip locks and keep on ice until ready to cook. Shortens the marinate time by half with minimal fuss.

The one I have advertises five pound capacity and it will hold one brisket or pork butt, three racks of spares and 18 chicken thighs.

Couple of issues were the vacuum attachment to the tumbler bowl has a tendency to break with heavy use so contacted the manufacturer and bought a hand full. Also, be careful about getting liquid in the vacuum line as it can exhaust onto the electronics inside and cause failure. Been there done that.

I just keep it in the original packaging and store in a tub until used and then wash and repackage.

Do you have the stock drum of the bigger "Chef" drum? I've been looking at these for a long time :-D

It's the stock drum. After trimming, I have not found a brisket that would not fit. It could be a tight fit and need to insure the vacuum hole is open and you don't suck up the brine but other wise, pulling a double vacuum and then tumble for 20 minutes gives time for a cold one and injection of the second brisket. As indicated the early models had the vacuum exhaust directly over the circuit board inside. Replacement unit was corrected by me with a piece of tube redirecting the exhaust.

It's the stock drum. After trimming, I have not found a brisket that would not fit. It could be a tight fit and need to insure the vacuum hole is open and you don't suck up the brine but other wise, pulling a double vacuum and then tumble for 20 minutes gives time for a cold one and injection of the second brisket. As indicated the early models had the vacuum exhaust directly over the circuit board inside. Replacement unit was corrected by me with a piece of tube redirecting the exhaust.

Thanks! I keep thinking about it but I'm not sure I really need one more thing in the trailer and one more thing to clean up :-D

Back