Brisket Talk!!

Pitmasterlewis

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Cookers,

Do you go with a complex or simple brisket rub? I say a simple mix of salt and pepper and perhaps an even mixture of paprika.

I'm like you, simple. 50/50 mix of Kosher salt & coarse black pepper, then lightly sprinkled with crushed red pepper & lemon pepper.

I shoot for 225 on my Weber kettle but a temp for me is more a midpoint for a range (205-245).
On my stick burner it's usually a bigger range. I add a couple of logs, the temp rises to ~270, stays there for awhile then starts falling. I'll let it go till 210-205 before adding wood. I can get an hour or more in between using this method.

SPPPPPOG and chili powders
But I do like the crust of the Black OPS. it is just killer.

I can usually get 45-50 minutes of no fussing with my offset if I'm busy (sleeping). I set my igrill2 to go off in a range between 210-265 when I'm sleeping. If I'm sitting there focused it will cruise steady with very little fluctuation (225) without any new logs ( just poking and rotating logs left to right) for over an hour.

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from the FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER> This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Captain Ron's Brisket

Rub with whatever you want.
Cook at whatever temp you want
Wrap with whatever you want (or not)
When it is probe tender rest for at least two hours.

Enjoy!

:becky:

I like playing with different rubs at home. SPOG, Montreal Steak Seasoning, Oakridge Black Ops, Plowboys Bovine Bold, Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow are all very good.

Sometimes I go nuts and mix two! :crazy:

Captain Ron's Brisket

Enjoy!

I like playing with different rubs at home. SPOG, Montreal Steak Seasoning, Oakridge Black Ops, Plowboys Bovine Bold, Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow are all very good.

i'm with Ron...try everything:shocked: you will be surprised at what you like and lots of things are good on brisket. i like to put the rub on kinda thick.

Knew bluedawg would be along. I follow his cooking style to a T on brisket. Turns out amazing and also allows me to start my cook at 10 or 11 am depending on what time I want to eat. I plan for 8 hrs for cooking and rest time. I do however change up the rub a bit. Mine is 50/50 SP and then I add cumin, smoked paprika, and a touch of garlic powder.

Captain Ron's Brisket

Enjoy!

I've been wanting to try black ops for a while now and finally got some and it was not at all what I was expecting. Granted I only tried some on steaks for a taste comparison against big poppa jalepeno salt and ground pepper and simply marvellous peppered cow, but the jalepeno salt and ground pepper wins taste comparisons every time.

I talked to a local butcher today and he said that packers (or "nose on" as he called them) are around 18-20 pounds. I asked if he could get a smaller one and he said no, that's just what size they are. He also said they're the same price as a trimmed brisket which would be about 6-8 pounds, $9.99/lb. Guess I need to check around for another butcher...

Back