• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Stupid Assassin Grill

I've done briskets, butts, St. Louis ribs, dino bones and just about everything else. It does cook very well and a half load of charcoal burns for 4-5 hours easily. I love the room on this thing. After cooking for so long on my Yoder (easy bake oven), it's nice to have to worry about temps once in a while.

The only problem I've had is with the water pan. I'm not a fan of using water, especially on this cooker. Mine is 48" and dealing with the water pan is a pain. I've been running it without water and cooking at 275-300 degrees and the pan warped like crazy. I've tried to bend it back with no luck. I'm going to have to make a study deflector I guess.
Might want to give Jeff a call and ask about the V Pan and on that note is anyone using the V Pan and how are your temps across the grates?

attachment.php

I've done briskets, butts, St. Louis ribs, dino bones and just about everything else. It does cook very well and a half load of charcoal burns for 4-5 hours easily. I love the room on this thing. After cooking for so long on my Yoder (easy bake oven), it's nice to have to worry about temps once in a while.

The only problem I've had is with the water pan. I'm not a fan of using water, especially on this cooker. Mine is 48" and dealing with the water pan is a pain. I've been running it without water and cooking at 275-300 degrees and the pan warped like crazy. I've tried to bend it back with no luck. I'm going to have to make a study deflector I guess.

Is the water pan steel. ? Could it braced beforehand. Tack weld angle to it.?

image.jpg

After a very shaky start with this grill I'm starting to love it. I booted the water pan and started using the V-shield with much better results. I replaced the Daisey type wheel damper and use the one they have for the that has a threaded end in which I put a 1 inch ball valve on. I can close the ball valve half way and cook for several hours at 250. I'm going to add a guru fan to it and just see how long I can cook without adding any fuel. As of right now I start with about 15 pounds of charcoal.

This past weekend I cooked for about 60 people and cooked these loins and 4 pans of beans it worked out great.

Kevi

I'm thinking about jumping in on this. I liked my Stumps 2x3 which is very similar & have hated I sold it from the moment I sold it. You can't beat the price for what you get. I'm interested in the water pan vs shield operations. Could you get/put some kind of quick drain on the water pan w/ little fuss/redesign? That'd be my sticking point on emptying a full water pan

They can make this unit that has 2 front load pans instead of one big one. If I wanted the water pan this is the unit I would go with I can't seem to find a pic right now I'll look around later.

I think I know the pics you speak of. Was it about the guy who made his 2 pan front loading due to his father being old so as to not overstress him trying to remove the single bigger pans or something like that?

Yes.I want one to open on the left and right side.That way I can have the front shelf.

I think I know the pics you speak of. Was it about the guy who made his 2 pan front loading due to his father being old so as to not overstress him trying to remove the single bigger pans or something like that?

Yes that is the one.

A2.jpg
This is it, I purchased it for my dad. He has had 3 back surgeries. I wanted to reduce the weight of the pans.

Yep, this is the next addition. Considering i got a Humphrey's last year it will be a awhile before i can talk the missus into this though. I also need to get rid of some other smokers and grills to make this happen.

I recently picked up a used 36 assassin. One of my FB/BBQ buddies was selling it. Can't wait to cook on it.

Sigh... More pictures and talk about if it is worth it and how it cooks, less bumping by Smitty... :mrgreen:

Back