Refurbish a Hasty Bake?

smooookin

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I got my hands on a legacy for 40 bucks. It did need some TLC but that was no problem. I stripped and painted the "ol gal, patched a couple of rusty spots, added new grates and fabricated a handle. I still need to replace the charcoal grates and the ash pan. I have noticed "ol rusty is coming back! The legacy quickly earned a respected position in our family. Now I face a delima, do I try to find a place in KC that can repair and repowder coat her, add the new grates and ash pan or do I snag the late model lagacy w/cover I found on CL for 500.00?

BTW the one I own now was built in 1966, same model as the wife. The wife is holding up better but the grill has done a heluva job!

KC BBQ store can order any parts you need for it. That charcoal pan, the slide in ash pan, the fat catch -- Powdercoating it again would likely cost what the one you have found would though.... It could probably need a bead blast or something to get the metal ready to go. I think Eagle in Edwardsville/Bonner Spgs area could do it...

I bought a Gourmet early this summer. It had surface rust, needed about $180.00 in parts. I did all the parts from Hasty Bake. The surface rust was fairly easy to remove, put new wheels, a top rack and a handle. I'll post pictures of it. I paid $200.00 and felt like I still have a deal.

Back