• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cooking with a separated shoulder

SmokinJohn

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So with all the turmoil in my life (dad, in-laws, and steps are having health problems or grieving), I decide to do some smoking. In the heat. On zero sleep.

I already had a chuckie waiting at home and I'm thinking brisket. Yesssh.

IMG_2904.JPG

My local Smart and final has them for 3.65 a pound.

Are you kidding me? I just got a chuckie for 3.99 a pound.

What's this? Right next to the brisket, is beef shoulder clod. It's 2.39 a pound. Misprint? Don't know and don't care.

IMG_2903.JPG

Most clods are ~20 pounds and take at least an hour per pound to cook. This bad boy is just under 3 pounds. Score!.

So I get it home take it out of the shrinkwrap and what the hell?

IMG_2905.JPG

This looks like separated shoulder [canned laughter]. I'm seeing meat failure (and possibly mismarked meat), so it's getting the Jack Daniels rub. The chuckie is getting BigMista's.

IMG_2907.JPG

Since my shoulders are separated (couldn't resist one more shot), here is the game plan:

Run both meats in at the same time. If the clod was whole, they would finish about the same time. But the smaller pieces mean shorter time (I hope), so I will check the temps at the two hour mark and
see what happens.

Two hour mark:

IMG_2913.JPG

Chuckie is in foiling range. Clods are at 180 IT. Oh nooooooooo.

I pull the clods and foil the chuckie. slice some of the clods.....ok. looks a little overcooked, but it's the first time out with a non-uniform piece of meat. Flavor? Dannnnnnnnng. Dry? Not really.

IMG_2914.JPG

IMG_2915.JPG

Here is the shot of the chuckie unfoiled and ready for shredding:

IMG_2916.JPG

Unfortunately, an accident occurred right after the chuckie was shredded. His name is Eli and he destroyed it when my back was turned. All I heard was the gnashing of teeth on meat. Bad Eli.

Back