UDS Pork Butt without Foil?

Thawley

Take a breath!
Reaction score
What say you Brethren? Do any of you smoke your butts without the Texas crutch?

I ask this fresh off the success of my first unwrapped brisket, which turned out rather well and was far less hassle. Is there any greater chance of disaster with unwrapped pork than with beef?

Just depends on how much time I have with the foil issue. Cooked a lot of butts without foil they aways come out delicious. I like the bark better if you keep the temps from spiking too much. Give er a shot, then you'll know. REMEMBER PICS!!!!!!!!

I have committed to myself that the next brisket and butt I smoke will be done without foiling!

Cooked a lot of butts without foil they aways come out delicious. I like the bark better if you keep the temps from spiking too much.
That's just the reasurance I was looking for. I'm holding steady between 230-240 degrees.

REMEMBER PICS!!!!!!!!
Don't hold your breath. I'm a commercial photographer and today's my day off...

i dont like foil for the same reason you dont get a good bark

John, Brother....do You Know How Excited The Brethren Would Be To See Professional Pics Of Q!:mrgreen:!!!! Please Please Please:wink:

John, Brother....do You Know How Excited The Brethren Would Be To See Professional Pics Of Q!:mrgreen:!!!! Please Please Please:wink:
Do a search of Rick's Tropical Delight's threads... That's as good as it gets folks. If he doesn't have that stuff listed with a stock photography agency, he should. I shoot cars. I'll leave food photography to the experts.

Rick's the man.

You are right on about RTD and his photo abilities. He would make a chrome bumper look tasty.

I'm running a 2 rack drum with a kettle lid. Is the lower rack too close to the fire to go foilless? The only brisket i've done on it I put a piece of foil on the grate between the meat and the fire(but not wrapped around meat). I had a harder time with temps staying up. I did not flip the meat at all and it turned out real good. I would like to not use the foil at all. Do you think it will burn on the lower rack?

I have never used foil on a butt or brisket in the drum (ok maybe once). Always turn out great!

To me it seems that it takes longer to get to temperature without foil.....or is just my imagination?

I did not bother to foil the last chuckie I did, and it turned out great. I have told myself that I would not use foil again until I get a bad turn out.

Foil is for baking taters and leftovers......:wink:

Kurt

On UDS you have to watch temps close without foil on a butt.

Foil is for baking taters and leftovers......:wink:

Kurt

2.gif

2.gif

Kinda like a mechanic or machinist who uses a Cresent Wrench for everything.

The "right tool for the job" is one mark of a craftsman.

Foil is a specialized tool for those who have taken the time to learn how and when to use it. :lol:

For those who do not take the time or effort to look at all methods to cook consistantly good BBQ--that is their loss.

There is a time and place for everything.

JMHO.

TIM

Here of late I have not been using foil as much.
I guess the main reason is that I've been lazy.

Either way, I think you can get great results.

Kinda like a mechanic or machinist who uses a Cresent Wrench for everything.

The "right tool for the job" is one mark of a craftsman.

Foil is a specialized tool for those who have taken the time to learn how and when to use it. :lol:

For those who do not take the time or effort to look at all methods to cook consistantly good BBQ--that is their loss.

There is a time and place for everything.

JMHO.

TIM

Got to agree with that brother.

Well, the verdict is in on the foil-free UDS butt cook - FAIL

Too dry. Too charred.

The top was okay. But the bottom was pretty rough. I'm sure the direct heat is the culprit. I never had temps above 250. And 235 was the norm. I'm still thinking it can work, but I'm going to need a barrier between the coals and the bottom of the meat.

Stay tuned.

I have done butts both ways on a uds and prefer the unfoiled method. I don't trim the fat cap and I don't turn from fat cap down. The fat cap ( or what is left of it ) always stays stuck on the grate when it is finally finished. I then foil and rest in a cooler.

Brisket on the other hand, has really had me on the fence as of late. I prefer the tenderness of a brisket that has been foiled at 170-180.

The rubs I use have a lot of brown sugar in them so the bark is sacrificed when foiled. I like salt,pepper,garlic combo but there isn't much of a bark with that combo.

It has become my opinion that brisket smoked over hickory has to strong of a smoke flavor unless foiled.

Back