What do you recommend for a first cook on a wsm?

Badjak

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Okay, my 14" WSM has finally arrived....

I have never cooked on one, but I am sure I will learn fast with the help of the members here.

I got something against wasting things, even charcoal, so I want to cook something while learning to operate the wsm.
I was going to put a butternut in it as I though that nothing could go wrong cooking it, but yesterday I turned the butternut into soup (delicious, but that's another story).

Any good ideas of what to try?

Chicken for a shorter cook. Pork butt for a longer cook.

Ah, it's going to be a difficult decission :)
I have chicken
I have belly pork and pork chops (I have no pork but)
I may have ground meat, but I am not sure.
I do have beef ribs and I have done those a number of times on my lettle braai, so maybe that's a good idea?
I think I have pork ribs as well...

Just light it up and throw something on!

For my first fire up I just wanted to season my 18.5 WSM, so I threw on some bacon and sauage. It was almost impossible to control the temps, smoke leaked everywhere. After that it sealed a little, but I did end up putting a gasket around my door. Now after cooking three other times (Brisket/ribs/turkey) it's sealed up nice and hardly leaks any smoke. Enjoy the new WSM!

Attachments

• 14955851_10154649139920786_5995169708691788352_n.jpg
    14955851_10154649139920786_5995169708691788352_n.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 97
First I did some venison sausage that had gotten freezer burned to give it a little seasoning and practice my temperature control. Anything that's been in the freezer too long will work, but the greasier the better for seasoning purposes. For the first edible cook, I kept it simple and inexpensive with a whole chicken. Figured if I screwed it up I'd only be out a few bucks, but it came out great.

Thanks again all,
I figured it would leak the first time of using it and being difficult to control for
a) it still needs to seal
b) I still need to learn how to operate it :-D

It's going to be something fat and something fairly forgiving.
I will be cooking just for me (and the dogs).

I will keep you all posted, but I am leaning to beef ribs (the ones we get here are sliced, have enough fat and, best of all, they are cheap, about the same price as chicken)

Back