need input kinda' quick-turkey related

rober

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
poor planning on my part. I have a 24# turkey that I decided to spatchcock.
turns out when spatchcocked it will not fit in my 22.5" weber/Cajun bandit or my good one open range. would I be better off tying it back up & doing it whole in the weber or splitting it & cooking 1/2 in each grill. if I split it will the breast be drier? wrap the edge where it's cut??

I swear i'm slowly going brain dead. yesterday I was leaning over my weber & trying to work the ash cleaner. wouldn't budge. looked down & I had a hold on the ash catcher handle-doh! just after I posted this I realized i'd overlooked my 3rd option..........fire up the OK Joe Longhorn-double doh!. the weber & open range & are in the front & are my go to cookers. the longhorn is is out back. out of sight out of mind moment. i'd already split the bird so I went that route. this showed me the limitations of the open range. it will accommodate smaller birds, butts, roasts, loins, etc but even when whole the lid would not close. it does a great job on what does fit in it. this bird would have fit in the weber though.
the drawback to splitting the bird is that I only have one maverick thermometer. I put a probe in each cooker to momitor the cookers temps. i'll time the cook & probe the meat separately.

Break it down, that's a large bird to smoke. I try to smoke 12-14 lbs only, anything larger is pretty unsafe.

What the ninja said

here ya' go. not the prettiest bird I ever smoked but it sure does taste good & that's the main thing. my redbone hound has not left my side all day. just in case I accidentally on purpose drop a scrap or 2. the carcass is roasting in the oven. here's some shots of the resting bird & my good one with the ho-made
stainless steel table.

Attachments

• smoke turkey.jpg
    smoke turkey.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 91
  • smoke turkey 2.jpg
    smoke turkey 2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 90
  • smoke turkey 4.jpg
    smoke turkey 4.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 89
  • coop 7 mos old.jpg
    coop 7 mos old.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 88
  • copp 4 months 3.jpg
    copp 4 months 3.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 90
today the critics arrive. T. day was at my son's house where he traditionally fries a bird. today the stepson & family come over for the smoked bird. along with the bird i'm putting out a seafood etouffe appetizer, corn casserole, garlic mashed potatoes, & whipped maple sweet potatoes.

das hund was attached to my hip for the cook, carving, roasting carcass, boiling carcass for stock.........believe me he got a little bit of everything. my wife has this boy seriously spoiled. if you are at my house & smell something 'rotten', it's him:wink:.
the cook did turn out fine. thanks for everyones input. sometimes you're already on the right path but need some reassurance.

So how did the guest like the smoked bird?
I think it looks terrific.
You have a beautiful dog. What his/her name?
I guess you are roasting the carcass for soup? Get some more Maillard flavor?

carcass was roasted & boiled for stock last night. once the turkey is consumed i'll be making a gumbo & a soup. as far as guest, we're sitting down to eat at 5:30 C.S.T.. the hound is a male, is named parker, & was a rescue. our previous redbone died of cancer at 3 years old. we happened to spot this guy when his foster owner had him at the local dog park.

Interesting fact, not sure if it's true. My friend who is a vet says one of his busiest days at work is the day after Thanksgiving because turkey can kill a dog, it isn't good for them. I never knew that. But sense he told me I have stopped feeding my dogs turkey leftovers.

Interesting fact, not sure if it's true. My friend who is a vet says one of his busiest days at work is the day after Thanksgiving because turkey can kill a dog, it isn't good for them. I never knew that. But sense he told me I have stopped feeding my dogs turkey leftovers.

I am pretty sure he meant the bones, not the meat itself. Turkey and any kind of poultry bones are a no-no because they are very sharp and can do some serious damage.

the dinner was well received. the bird was moist & flavorful. everyone is full & the hound is curled up contentedly at my feet.

Back