A Tale of 3 turkeys and a 007 mission!

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
We do our Thanksgiving at one of the local parks each year so I had to take the show on the road.

The plan was to do two 16 pound birds on the spit but would they fit? :noidea: and one (20lbs) spatchcocked up above in the dome lid of the 007. The two rotisserie birds I put on opposite for better balancing. The 50lb rated corded motor turned it with ease and a 1/2" SS hex spit rod was used. 2 pairs of the Octoforks used to hold the birds on the spit (spit through the birds sideways)

Now I'm not going to lie...I was NERVOUS! You can only do so much measuring but until they're on the spit I wouldn't know for sure. As a back up I brought some KBB and my Jimmy cooker with the roti kit but thankfully it wasn't needed.

Check out this instagram feed of the 3 brave soldiers during the cook.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNPSd1mBpG5/

Now for the spatchcocked

From the rotisserie birds

Last edited:
Oh I forgot ... 2 sticks of butter, SPG and 2 hard apple ciders were the injection on all 3 birds.

Thank you Marty, Kevin, Jay and Dan! I couldn't have been happier not only good tasty birds but just that I know they can spin so well this way and more of them on the spit.

Looks great

We had wind and rain so hard it was crazy

Two birds at once is a great test - Nice work!

Wow Keith, that's a lot of bird on the 007.

They look perfect.

Looks wonderful. I like the idea of having Thanksgiving at a park, but our weather is so unpredictable I'm not sure about taking the risk.
Do your parks have heated pavilions? These that we rent have full kitchens etc... Some have awnings but I can't remember if this one did but worst case I could have cooked the birds at home and then just brought them (would have been easier!) The nice thing is doing it there though is everyone smelling the wood burning and the meat cooking. It's the same with our block party, It adds so much when people can get the full effect!

Do your parks have heated pavilions? These that we rent have full kitchens etc... Some have awnings but I can't remember if this one did but worst case I could have cooked the birds at home and then just brought them (would have been easier!) The nice thing is doing it there though is everyone smelling the wood burning and the meat cooking. It's the same with our block party, It adds so much when people can get the full effect!

The county parks have shelters, but they are basic. A few state parks have SHELTERS with 2 or 3 sides, some have electricity, and most have a brick grill in them. So one of those wouldn't be too bad, and I guess we could build a fire in the grill for some extra warmth.... and then there's always whiskey. :biggrin1:

The county parks have shelters, but they are basic. A few state parks have SHELTERS with 2 or 3 sides, some have electricity, and most have a brick grill in them. So one of those wouldn't be too bad, and I guess we could build a fire in the grill for some extra warmth.... and then there's always whiskey. :biggrin1:
Yep those shelters are common in all the townships around here....very rural areas. Whiskey and or apple pie moonshine will warm things up!

Here's the youtube, a little better than my cell video was.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHPiVpEZ1u0"]Octoforks turkey cook! - YouTube[/ame]

Great looking Birds Keith You put that cooker to work
Thanks George, now I know what she can do if needed!

Looks great

We had wind and rain so hard it was crazy

Two birds at once is a great test - Nice work!
I'm thankful we had good weather but if we didn't have then I would have been able to get by doing it all at home and transport the turkeys to thanksgiving...but it wouldn't have been the same.

It was a big test, I didn't know if they'd fit and wasn't positive the motor would spin it good. Thankfully I had the 1/2" spit because I think even that bowed some so the 5/16" definitely would have bowed bad.

Wow Keith, that's a lot of bird on the 007.

They look perfect.
Thanks Adam, yup pushed the capacity limits. lol

Back