What would you do with this?

Daggs

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score

I have sinned for long enough and I'm looking to redeem myself! I usually make 3 pounds of bacon a week on average. So I make more then I can or should save, bacon renderings that is.

I've heard of people using it to pop their popcorn in or fry eggs but thats about the extent of it. Just wondering if and what any of you do with yours. I'm sure CowGirl has some great uses.
Thanks everyone

Season your smoker with it. Give it a good rub down or spay on coat and let it burn in.

Used to know a lady that would make mashed potatoes, let them cool in the fridge overnight then make patties out of them and fry them in bacon grease.

Also had a roommate in college who's mom would pop popcorn in bacon grease and bring it down in a garbage bag. Loved that stuff.

I assume it to have a much higher flash point then butter so I can use it for my hasselback potatoes with a much greater success

Didn't one of the great Lady BBQer's here rub her steaks with "Bacon love"???

Just about anywhere you'd cook with butter (or even other shortenings, like oil). It's (animal fat) pretty much what they used everywhere 100 years ago. My grandparents had a jar next to the stove, and it wasn't 100 years ago.

Use it to lubricate fingerling potatoes while roasting them on an indirect grill for about 10 min or until fork tender.

Great for frying spaetzle in - use it with flour to make a roux for milk gravy - add some to your refried beans - mix 50/50 with butter for frying breaded fish - so many good things!

Back