HushPuppies ,Recipe Required please

Heck, I'm don't care what shape my hushpuppies turn out. I use two spoons to plop the batter into the hot oil (like my momma taught me), and cook them til golden on the outside and tender in the center.
You have to keep an eye on the oil so it's not too hot to cook the outside first and leave the center doughy.

shrimp%20n%20grits%20and%20catfish%20124_zpskqwjtn4e.jpg

shrimp%20n%20grits%20and%20catfish%20130_zpsatymycdn.jpg

shrimp%20n%20grits%20and%20catfish%20164_zpsxd4gjrxj.jpg

Good gracious what a plate! Looks delicious.
Just curious, is that a fish trap at the waters edge, thought you're probably to far north for mud bugs.

Good gracious what a plate! Looks delicious.
Just curious, is that a fish trap at the waters edge, thought you're probably to far north for mud bugs.

Thank you!!
It's just a cage that I keep the fish in when I catch them...in place of a stringer.
When I'm fishing all night, I use the cage. Raccoons travel along the bank, pulling stringers in...then they eat the fish (all but the heads). They can't get my cage open, so the fish stay safe until I'm ready to clean them.
I do trap mud bugs here. A pic of my crawdad traps... http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/06/homemade-crawdad-traps.html
I use the trap to harvest shrimp too.

Thanks again Rocky Branch! Hope you're keeping warm! :grin:

We made some from this Post and I will update when work is not so Crazy
But!
Thank you to all that replied:thumb:

Jalapeno Jelly recipe

2 large bell peppers
1 lb jalapenos
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup white vinegar
1 box Sure Jell
3 cups sugar

Core and seed bell peppers, cut off stems of jalapenos leave the seeds in jalapenos, then grind everything in a food processor in a food processor. Then squeeze out all the moisture using cheese cloth. The recipe says discard the pulp but it can be used in other dishes.

In a large saucepan combine pepper juice, vinegar and Sure Jell. Bring it to a boil. Add sugar and boil hard for one minute. Pour in hot sterile jars and seal. Do not double recipe.

I'll bite...what happens if you double the recipe?

Hushpuppies... sounds like a good reason for a Brethren road trip solely for the purpose of finding the Holy Grail of hushpuppies. First stop Jeanie's lakeside retreat ending up at the Q-Shack in Durham with many stops in between.

Hushpuppies... sounds like a good reason for a Brethren road trip solely for the purpose of finding the Holy Grail of hushpuppies. First stop Jeanie's lakeside retreat ending up at the Q-Shack in Durham with many stops in between.

That would be quite a trip. One thing I really came to appreciate in the Carolinas is the quality of the sides. The BBQ is high quality, but the sides are really exceptional. There are unique takes on many basic items. SirPorkaLot's Fish Camp slaw is one example.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241326

Look at the ingredients. This is a unique, local item. The hush puppies are different there also, along with many other items. They are really high quality and not to be overlooked, although I think they too-often are. In the picture I show at Q-Shack is one of my favorites, spinach. This is the best cheesy, creamy, spicy spinach (yes, spicy) that I've ever had and I always order it. When I try a new place, I always ask what the best sides are and am usually not disappointed.

That would be quite a trip. One thing I really came to appreciate in the Carolinas is the quality of the sides. The BBQ is high quality, but the sides are really exceptional. There are unique takes on many basic items. SirPorkaLot's Fish Camp slaw is one example.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241326

Look at the ingredients. This is a unique, local item. The hush puppies are different there also, along with many other items. They are really high quality and not to be overlooked, although I think they too-often are. In the picture I show at Q-Shack is one of my favorites, spinach. This is the best cheesy, creamy, spicy spinach (yes, spicy) that I've ever had and I always order it. When I try a new place, I always ask what the best sides are and am usually not disappointed.

Agree, the sides make the meal a meal, so many great places and so much incredible food to be discovered and enjoyed :-D

I was East of Mooresville, NC at a recommended BBQ joint and I received round hush puppies. Yours look really great but I don't think I've ever seen them prepared that way. Ingredients yes but shape no. But what do I know? I'm from California :)

Story goes cook threw some left over batter in the grease and then pitched 'em to the howling, hungry camp dogs and said "hush puppy"
Ed

Sometimes life gets in the way

We made an attempt at these and the recipe was based on a combination.
The taste was awesome, the jalapeno jam needs work but was tasty.
I was put onto the correct corn flour I believe, Wish I could remember who it was to thank them. Bob ? maybe.
yes it was on edit
Thanks Bob, see below
Anyhow ,here was our attempt .Tasty, but the mouth feel tasted too Gritty to us,
I believe we used a Polenta?type flour.

Vonnies Bloody noisy Contraption

IMG_8779%20Medium_zpsrw8hw9xc.jpg

IMG_8787%20Medium_zpstcuskxk7.jpg

IMG_8780%20Medium_zpsoyowz1xk.jpg

IMG_8801%20Medium_zps69gy0w7v.jpg

IMG_8791%20Medium_zpsdeyl0ubr.jpg

IMG_8802%20Medium_zpsze4wg8or.jpg

But today I got some new Flour.
Thanks to this Thread from Bob In st Louis who kindly offered to send me some if I couldn't get some .
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242327
lets see if this is the correct flour.

IMG_8920%20Medium_zpsf8yxmy4c.jpg

Back