***ROLL CALL*** Northport L.I. BBQ Brethren Salute to our Troops and Veterans

Finally got the meat order.

200 lbs brisket (Approx 13 @ 15 lbs each)
200 lbs Pork butt (Approx 25 at 8 lbs each)
120 half chickens
70 Racks St Louis Ribs
60 lbs sausage (30 hot/30 sweet)
500 burger
500 dogs

I figure easiest and least painful would be;

Pork masters pit take the briskets and our 2 FE100's take on the butts friday night. An FE 100 can handle 14 butts each.

Saturday morning we fire up the langs and one can take on the all the ribs. The 120 chickens can go into the double lang or 1 lang and Mr Dirts beast and we keep one lang at 140 to keep things hot for the day... Sausage can find a home in any of them.

We have 3 big johns, 2 can be used for the burgers and dogs, and the 3rd to finish chicken and maybe even some ribs for a Memphis style dry rub batch.

I have 20 bags of Royal Oak being delivered(sponsored by Royal Oak), 8 bags of kingsford and the back of my truck is loaded with firewood thanks to Long Island firewood.

Pepsi cola is donating water and soft drinks to be delivered tomorrow.

Ive contacted a local pizzaria and they will deliver pizza and heros for tomorrow dinner. We can place an order once we are there.

Im arriving around 2 to get things organized.

Sides will be salads, corn and baked beans. We're doing the beans same as last year so they go in the pits.. I think it was 8 full trays. Forgot all about that. We should have room in one lang or in mr dirts pit.

Wife just left to take my son back upstate to college again. Now I'm looking forward to being there early this evening, with brother and I think niece in tow. Oh yeah, and with the Lang and grill in tow also!

Awesome day today... great weather, lots of vets came down to enjoy the day and lots of dedicated brethren stayed up for 2 days with a couple hours sleep to make it a success. Tired tonight, will post pics and detail in the morning.. but the day was a great success, and a huge thanks to everyone that came down to help.

Finally got some much needed rest and recupe. (thanks to celebrex etc....) It was another great event, bigger than last year and I was honored to be a part of it once again.

(Btw, left my navy blue zippered hoodie by accident, if anyone happened to snag it, last seen near the cambro tables....)

Text of the corrected article. (formatting errors are theirs, not mine)

Veterans enjoy company, comfort food at annual BBQ
Published: August 25, 2013 1:00 PMBy Mary Kate Mahoney

The time he spent serving in the military is more than just a period in Ed Carley’s life. The East Northport resident’s entire family history is interlaced with the armed services, since his ancestors arrived in North America and settled in Northport in 1638.“My family has served in every war since the inception of the United States,” said Carley, who served in the Army between 1965 and 1968 and whose father fought in the Battle of the Bulge during World War II.

It is no surprise that Carley was proud of his daughter, Wendy Robertson, when she enlisted in the Army in 1986.“The military is my family,” Robertson said. Father and daughter joined several hundred other veterans and their families at the Northport VA Medical Center on Saturday for the second annual Southern-style Barbecue for veterans, sponsored by the Suffolk Police Veterans Association. The SPVA began in 2006 and includes both members of the Suffolk County Police Department who served in the military and non-law enforcement veterans.

Founding member and President Kenneth Bombace saw the need for a transition period for veterans re-entering the police department when he returned in 2005 after serving 18 months in Iraq.“The veterans need time to decompress,” Bombace said. “We realized that in Suffolk County there are over 600 veterans in the police force. This [SPVA] is a fraternal society that has taken on the cause of helping these veterans in the community.”Veterans representing all five branches of the military and every conflict dating back to WWII were present at the SPVA’s barbecue.

Family activities and Southern-style comfort foods encouraged a sense of community as adults and children enjoyed the games and food, which was prepared and smoked by the BBQ Brethren, a national organization of barbecue and grilling enthusiasts. Jason Green, of Oceanside, who served in the Army between 2007 and 2012, completing one tour in Afghanistan, manned the grill along with his fellow BBQ Brethren.

After returning home and working with the Northport VA Medical Center to transition back to civilian life, Green joined the Brethren because he enjoyed the camaraderie of the organization.“It’s a lot like the military,” he said. “They go out of their way to help each other, and it’s a lot of fun.”“

The food is as good as always,” said Sharon Friedrich, of East Northport, who served in the Navy between 1984 and 1989, and has attended the barbecue in the past.Friedrich works in the Department of Community Relations for the Northport VA Medical Center. She was joined at the barbecue by her father, Carl Friedrich, a fellow veteran who was stationed in Germany during his army service between 1955 and 1958.“I always wanted to join [the military],” Friedrich said. “I had a love for this country, and I was following in Dad’s footsteps.”

I believe that Jason's handle on the Brethren is Semper Fi. Hopefully he will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd like to thank Phil for doing the heavy lifting on this event, all the cooks who came out, all the judges who did such a great job on Saturday and the friends and family who came down to help such a great cause.

As others mentioned, it's an honor to be a part of group that counts folks like those that made this happen as members.

Eric

Ok- here's a bunch of pics, no particular order.

8f2e0414-d59b-47aa-93d6-eafacb390c9e_zps99f02904.jpg

DSCF0283_zpsa82c37ac.jpg

DSCF0291_zps601cd425.jpg

DSCF0292_zps8a2d1afa.jpg

DSCF0157_zps8bc0cfa9.jpg

DSCF0159_zps2aebc749.jpg

DSCF0161_zps96a8658c.jpg

DSCF0170_zpsfdc6b2f8.jpg

DSCF0164_zpse4a8cdb5.jpg

DSCF0242_zpsf5416b8d.jpg

DSCF0241_zps9fa427f2.jpg

DSCF0238_zps0c94fdaf.jpg