Ribeye Cap Steak - The Proof Thread

rus_bro

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I started a thread a week or so ago about the Cap steaks and thought id build on it with this one.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245013

Went to Costco and they had none in the case, but I was on a mission. I had the butcher cut and roll some up for me. Atleast i know it hasnt been sitting in the case, as i watched him trim the cap off of a ribeye rack and roll and tie them.

The wife wanted more of a STEAK rather than strips of steak, and i pretty much agreed. So fired up the CopperKettle to about 300* with KBB w/ a couple chunks of Pecan and went 2 zone till i hit 120* IT. Pulled and let sit for 15mins. Put a blowdryer on the coals and seared/flamed them for a couple of mins on each side. Served w/ roasted broccoli, and a very nice salad.

Hard to tell from the pix, but they are about a pound each and around 2"thick.

Hands down one of the best steaks iv ever had. Imagine smoking a stick of butter injected w/ meat from the Gods. It was kinda like getting a kiss on the neck from an angel.

Sorry for the poor plated pix, for some reason i couldnt get the lighting right. My cooking is coming around, now i am going to need to work on my picture taking if i ever want a career as a Instagram picture taker of meat.:drama:

20170415_173918_zps5u2j8mze.jpg

20170415_185413_zpsymhqufij.jpg

20170415_200003_zpsysxkj0au.jpg

b1d1913b-f5ae-4cfd-9280-a8c45fb63237_zps1ipppmhk.jpg

rb

I've seen them there for so long, but always balked at $19.99/lb. I'll pick some up the next time I'm there...those look amazing. Convinced.

I buy whole ribloin primals at Sam'sClub and make my own.$$$ saved.

Yes, when Prime rib goes on sale, buy one with a nice cap on it, then trim it off to make the cap steaks. They are without a doubt, the best steak you will ever eat!!!

Back