• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cajun Fryer Capacity

mattmountz94

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Been torn between the 4gal and the 6gal. Does anyone have experience with both models and which you tend to use more? Would be used at my house and camping. Normally do fries, wings and things of that sort. Now i am using a cheap $60 one that can cook like 8 wings at a time. On there website they reference fish fillet but i have no idea what that is in fries or wings.

Only thing i was thinking is that the 4gal would be easier to drain since you could use a 5gal bucket..? I have never bought oil in bulk so maybe there is different options here. Just thinking when it's time to drag it somewhere.

Any advice/thoughts would be great.

I have the 6 gallon Matt and can really put out a lot of food. If you are not cooking for a bunch of folks I think the 4 gallon would work just fine. Mine is not easy to haul around either.

Don't use the Cajun Fryer, but I have a three burner Camp Chef set-up and I can easily do 20-24 wings in each pot. I don't weigh the french fry's but usually 1/4 of the basket allows even browning and cooking of the potatoes.

I use a filter funnel for frying oil and then store the filtered oil back in the original container to keep it clean until the next use.

Been torn between the 4gal and the 6gal. Does anyone have experience with both models and which you tend to use more? Would be used at my house and camping. Normally do fries, wings and things of that sort. Now i am using a cheap $60 one that can cook like 8 wings at a time. On there website they reference fish fillet but i have no idea what that is in fries or wings.

Only thing i was thinking is that the 4gal would be easier to drain since you could use a 5gal bucket..? I have never bought oil in bulk so maybe there is different options here. Just thinking when it's time to drag it somewhere.

Any advice/thoughts would be great.
I have had the 4 gl for 4-5 years now and love it. That said I wish I would have gotten the 6 gl. It uses the more standard size blue handle baskets. I went looking for a double size basket, and only one I found was 2 of the single baskets patched together.

Take a read on this post:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241553&page=2

And you will see how I strain my oil for re-use. I have the 234 mesh but you need the 100. It does a way better job. It is the one I had Thatgrimguy buy. And he found a food grade 6 gal metal oil bucket for storage while in transit. :mrgreen:

I have both the 4 and 6.I much prefer the 6.When I do a bigger cook I fry the protein in the 6 and the fries/hushpuppies, etc. in the 4.

THanks guys. Always count on you for costing me more money. I was leaning towards the 6gal as it isn't much heavier then the 4gal. I never though thought they made a 6gal bucket but sure enough they do.

I've had every size Cajun Fryer there is and the 4 gallon is my favorite by far. I can cook for 20-25 people. Wings, fries, hushpuppies, fish or whatever. I like it the best for two reasons. #1 is that a 35 pound jug of oil will more than fill it up. The 6 gallon is an odd size because it takes one and almost a half of another jug of oil. #2 reason is that the 4 gallon heats up real fast compared to the 6 gallon. If I need to fry turkeys I use my 8-1/2 gallon and cook 3 at a time.

I've got a couple of the 6 gallon fryers and wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I had the choice. To be honest you can fill both baskets with frozen fires, crank up the heat and have fries in 7 minutes.

Best part is they sound like jet engines firing off. :)

I've had every size Cajun Fryer there is and the 4 gallon is my favorite by far. I can cook for 20-25 people. Wings, fries, hushpuppies, fish or whatever. I like it the best for two reasons. #1 is that a 35 pound jug of oil will more than fill it up. The 6 gallon is an odd size because it takes one and almost a half of another jug of oil. #2 reason is that the 4 gallon heats up real fast compared to the 6 gallon. If I need to fry turkeys I use my 8-1/2 gallon and cook 3 at a time.

Thanks. These were the sorts of things i was thinking about when looking into each size. I highly doubt i will ever fry a turkey but i mean if i get a 6gal i might as well.

Back