Weekend home business

kaRma BBQ

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Brethren,

Been a long time lurker and now a proud owner of a home business attempting to cook the best BBQ I can with the help of resources like this forum. Thank you!

My question: Am I wasting my time and money?
Background: I'm currently active duty military (Navy) serving in Japan. No BBQ on or off base. I've taking the time to do my research on the business side and put together a decent menu. After about a year of doing weekend BBQ and going over the numbers, I'm out of the red (barely)... but I've been thinking I'm not efficient with the way I'm doing business. Basically I prep, cook, lose sleep, and deliver maybe 12 boxes every time I decide to sell. We'll take my rib plate as an example. 1/4 rack, slice of Texas toast, side of corn or fries , 4oz rice (asian thing lol). With the calculations I set the pet box price at $12... just seems like a lot of work for $120-$144 a weekend. One guy I talked to (broke out detailed costs and he said my pricing was on point) said I need to be efficient and get more out of my cook. I.e. 10 racks of ribs instead of 4 or 5. Just feeling bummed out and a little lost.... I love to do this and I just need a little more guidance to help reach my goals. So much opportunity here as I'm the only guy.
Thank you for any input and my apologies if I selected the wrong area.

To answer your question - Yes. No one is gonna make much money selling 12 plates of BBQ, not even chicken. The way I see it, you are gonna have to raise your prices or sell more plates. If you think you can grow your business, you will have bite the bullet until the volume increases (like most restaurants). There is only so much you can do to cut costs. I don't know what eqpt you are using but you have to figure out the max amount of ribs you can cook at one time and how many plates that will yield. Would that amount of money make it worth your time and effort? I spent a year in Japan, so I understand about wanting BBQ. Have you considered chicken and pulled pork? Good luck no matter what you decide.

Paying about $9-$10 for a rack of BB, $11-$12 for spares.
I'm using a WSM 18".... love it! I also do chicken a PP. those are actually what I make the top $$$¥¥¥ from. I think I'm gonna have to boost my volume up. Stops wasting fuel for a couple boxes :(

Lower your costs and up your yield. When you sell the 10 boxes is that all you would sell even IF you had more food.
Like my problem. If I am going to make more I need to cook more food because I am loosing sales due to running out of food. So I have a new FEC in my future for higher yield.

What is your goal in doing this? That might better help me answer your question. What will you do if it starts to grow and exceeds the weekend? Would you like to take it further of just keep it simple?

Thank you again for all the input.

I've only started over here in Japan so I don't know the price difference in what I'm paying for meat over here (U.S. Base) vs. in the actual U.S. But I try to apply the same formulas for menu pricing despite the possible higher costs.

I seem to keep each cook within 10-12 boxes... maybe I'm my own limiting factor...? It's gets tough with a full time job and being the only hand,,,, my wife chips in sometime. But I may look at attempting at lowering my costs by BBQing the less expensive meats and stick with those at the events only.

My goal...? Wow great question. I've been smoking for a while. I have a base recipe for every dish and basically look at all this for preps in starting a food truck. While I'm very humble during each and every cook finding myself generous at times, it's time to start getting the numbers right. I want to make a name for myself, which I think I've done already.... but I want to start generating a little more cash.

Could you set up in the PX/ Commisary parking lot and sell like that too? When I was stationed in Hawaii, there were always festivals and 'things' going on for family's. Maybe try getting a booth at one of those. Good way to get your name out too.

My first thought is your market only 10-12 servings at a time or limited to that volume because that's all the 18" WSM will produce? If your market is higher or unlimited why not get equipment that will handle 100 servings and grow your demand up to that limit. You will go broke or crazy trying to make your small backyard volume worthwhile. Ribs are the best sellers but the lowest return you can cook. PP should be your bread & butter meat.

Thank you again for all the input.

I've only started over here in Japan so I don't know the price difference in what I'm paying for meat over here (U.S. Base) vs. in the actual U.S. But I try to apply the same formulas for menu pricing despite the possible higher costs.

I seem to keep each cook within 10-12 boxes... maybe I'm my own limiting factor...? It's gets tough with a full time job and being the only hand,,,, my wife chips in sometime. But I may look at attempting at lowering my costs by BBQing the less expensive meats and stick with those at the events only.

My goal...? Wow great question. I've been smoking for a while. I have a base recipe for every dish and basically look at all this for preps in starting a food truck. While I'm very humble during each and every cook finding myself generous at times, it's time to start getting the numbers right. I want to make a name for myself, which I think I've done already.... but I want to start generating a little more cash.

I started off like you wanting a "Side" weekend business only to find it does not exists. I now operate a full time catering business with 6 figure annual sales and have invested $125,000 back into the business over 7 years all while working a full time job in addition to working 40-70 hours a week in my catering business. My advise is keep it REAL simple or go for broke. There is no in between. People don't realize that a Saturday catering job means working Tuesday-Friday planning, shopping, prepping only to cook all night on Friday then spend half a day loading and going to event, catering it then packing up going home and dying for the night only to get up Sunday morning and spend all day cleaning up and putting away everything. Most people dread Mondays, for me Monday is like a day off because I only have to go work my 8 hour job that day. Tuesday through Sunday is 14-16 hour days. Don't get me wrong I love it but if you don't like the sound of what I just described the stay keep it REAL simple.

HBMTN,
Sounds all too familiar, except I'm starting about Thursday prepping for Saturday. Love it! But as mentioned early, I think I'm limiting myself to what my WSM 18" can hold and I'm not going for broke, like you and poorolddan mentioned. Got the 22" on my radar (just love the WSMs) and the summer should be promising as I'm shifting to catering as well. Spent the whole year of 2016 getting ready... cambros, food warmers, contract templates, price checking again and again, and even some cheap staff. Think that's where I'm gonna improve my business.
Eric D,
Yea that's a good idea, I'll ask them. with Sasebo Japan being really country side and small, the military puts on a lot events for the troops... many that'll let me vend. So that option is there as well and I definelty jump on those. Yea, so it looks like I'm getting bigger equipment and going for broke. The demand for BBQ is there, just gotta go for it!

Back