Best BBQ chicken you'll make at home

Ford

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
These are not a competition recipes but to please the little woman when she complains about eating all those thighs or spicy sweet chicken or burned chicken on the grill.

#1 - weber kettle with rotisserie ring and 2 whole chickens. Use weber charcoal baskets for the fire and it takes about a half chimney of lump with 6 chunks of pecan wood. Start fire. Add wood just before putting on chicken.
- Cut 2 onions & apples into quarters.
- Rinse out chickens, rub inside with sage, stuff with apples/onions.
- Rub with butter on outside and apply good rub. I like Slabs chicken or pork.
- Tie onto rod and when Kettle is about 400F on dome (I have a thermo there) put on chickens.
- cook an hour to hour and a quarter and they should be done. Throw away stuffing.

#2 - half chickens. Use your smoker at 300F.
- Cut chicken in half, put each half in a 1/2 foil steam pan.
- Rub bottom with good chicken rub (see above), turn over and rub top.
- Add 12 oz of parkay or butter to the pan. Cook for 1 hour.
- Cover with steam pan lid and cook for 1 hour.
- Carefully remove chicken from pan and brush sauce on bottom, turn and brush sauce on top, place on smoker grill and cook for 45 minutes. You may want to ad sauce part way thru.

This works for Breast sections as well but no more than 3 in a pan and keep the thick sides to the outside.

Note: you can do the first 2 steps in the oven and do 4 or 6 pans and then finish on a warm gas grill using less cooking time. Don't let the sauce burn. Share this with people that don't smoke meat and don't have a smoker. They will thank you many times over.

Thanks Ford,

I'm going to try version 2 this week as a practice for an upcoming IBCA event in April.

Was that skin side up or down in the pan?

Benny

Funny man. Just follow the instructions

"put each half in a 1/2 foil steam pan.
- Add 12 oz of parkay or butter to the pan. Cook for 1 hour."

It should do you well at IBCA.

Those recipes sound awesome. I will definitely have to try those. Really looking forward to meeting you next month.

Those recipes sound awesome. I will definitely have to try those. Really looking forward to meeting you next month.
Remember you can't post what I do. No problem with you learning and changing things and then posting.

#2 - half chickens. Use your smoker at 300F.
- Cut chicken in half, put each half in a 1/2 foil steam pan.
- Add 12 oz of parkay or butter to the pan. Cook for 1 hour.
- Cover with steam pan lid and cook for 1 hour.
- Carefully remove chicken from pan and brush sauce on bottom, turn and brush sauce on top, place on smoker grill and cook for 45 minutes. You may want to ad sauce part way thru.

Been playing with chicken halves myself, very similar.

So, do you start with skin down or up for the first hour?

have you tried it the 2nd hour without covering? Good/Bad?

You leaving it at 300? I've done this, but started on a lower temp and finished on a higher temp (that last 45 min).

Russ

Niiiice. I've got a roaster in the fridge that I'll be cooking tomorrow. Now I know what to do.

Thanks, bro.

This is the one thing that never comes out consistant. Maybe now I will. Thanks Ford.

Jeff

Ford I used that same method several time for IBCA and have done well with it.

Ford does know how to make some awesome chicken. This recipe is defiantly worth a try.

Good pointers Ford. I'm sure you pointed alot of cooks in the right direction.

I just saw this. Thanks, Ford. My wife wanted chicken next time I cook, so I'm going to try this Friday, with either halves or breasts.

Back