20 lb Brisket on Kamado Joe Claasic

chapo9

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi guys and I'm sure this has been asked before. I'm cooking a 20lb brisket for Memorial Day. Will a Kamado Joe give me a full cook on one firebox? I've upgraded to a high que charcoal grate. Will this work? I also tend to cook more at the 250-260 range.
Thanks

I use Missouri lump in my KJC and with a full load w/diffuser and running a PartyQ set to 250dg I can get up to 16 hours+ out of a single load. I would think that should be more than enough to get that Brisket done for you.

I think you'll be fine. 20 pounds is big though. You may want to lay the brisket over the top of something (rib rack, foil wrapped firebricks, etc) to get it to fit if you don't want it touching the cooker walls.

I think you'll be fine. 20 pounds is big though. You may want to lay the brisket over the top of something (rib rack, foil wrapped firebricks, etc) to get it to fit if you don't want it touching the cooker walls.

^^This. Getting it into the grill is your biggest concern, you've got an ~18" grid and a brisket that size is going to be longer than 18".

Load the thing COMPLETELY FULL of lump. Right up to the head deflector - the coals can even touch the deflector. It'll burn more than long enough. I've done an 18hr cook on a Large BGE (same size as your KJ) and had lotsa lump left.

Yeah that is a tucker for sure, big brisket like that, start it on a stainless bowl or colander, it may not fit. As for temps, should be no problem to run a brisket with one load at 250.

I cooked a 19lb brisket on my Classic. I had to fold it in half and hold it there with skewers. It cooked great though. I loaded the firebox full and still had charcoal left when i finished.

Ok thanks. I was curious. On overnight smokes I had issues with the temp dropping so I upgraded to a hi que grate. Did everyone do that?

I used a Kick Ash Basket in my Egg, not sure how much it really helps, but I like the easy for cleaning the ash out of the lump.

On one long cook I once had my fire go out, but still had lotsa lump left. The fire basically burned right down the center, leaving a hole through the pile of lump. I revised how I build the fire, and no issues since. Here's what I do:

Fill up the Egg/KJ about 3/4 of the way with lump. Distribute wood chunks however you like. Use a chimney starter, fill it about half full, and get all of that lump lit. Dump the chimney into the grill on top of the 3/4 full un-lit lump, and spread the lit pieces out as much as possible. Add more wood if you want. Fill the smoker the rest of way with un-lit lump. Set the vents where they need to be, wait for it to come up to temp.

What that does is start you off with a will-spread fire, and with the fire both below and above un-lit lump, there's a lot less chance it won't spread as the coals burn down. And even if one piece doesn't spread, the others will.

Here's the results.
fiH7Z

Here's the results.

Sorry the pics didn't attach last time

Attachments

• IMG_6736.jpg
    IMG_6736.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6745.jpg
    IMG_6745.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6744.jpg