To burn or not to burn... that is the question?

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So got 3 drums today from a drum manufacturer. They said they were brand new unlined seconds, ie exterior paint issues or small manufacturing defects. However it looks to me like there is a light tan coating on them. Is that how unlined drums should look or do I need to burn them out? I know the policy is when in doubt burn but in my neighborhood a burn would not fly very well at all.

Thoughts?

Here are some pictures:
Ceremonial Beer Photo
5231010178_a1e79b0ff1.jpg

Inside 1:
5231010158_f0728d69e0.jpg

Inside 2:
5230416903_210d1f09b0.jpg

I scratched it a bit with a wire brush to see what would happen:
5230416923_cb404381ce.jpg

Picture Library:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56349654@N07/sets/72157625399535333/

Just guessing here, but that looks like a rust proof coat. Basically, an oil based spray to keep rust at bay. Much like the stuff they apply to cast iron cookware. Is it tacky to the touch?
I can tell you for sure that it's not any of the dreaded liners. That's a GOOD thing.

Bob

Just guessing here, but that looks like a rust proof coat. Basically, an oil based spray to keep rust at bay. Much like the stuff they apply to cast iron cookware. Is it tacky to the touch?
I can tell you for sure that it's not any of the dreaded liners. That's a GOOD thing.

Bob

cosmoline?
does it smell like Chinese assault rifles?

I just ran downstairs to check. It is far more tacky than the exterior however not extremely tacky. It has a mild smell kind of like WD-40 me thinks.... I'm not familiar with Chinese assault rifles to comment on that :wink:

cosmoline?

Something like that stuff. Looked like it cause there seems to be some light overspray pooling on the on bottom.

The smell will give it away for sure.

Something like that stuff. Looked like it cause there seems to be some light overspray pooling on the on bottom.

The smell will give it away for sure.

There is definitely some pooling at the bottom. The smell as I said is similar to WD-40 in my opinion.

That stuff is kinda like wax. I learned about that crap the hard way. I tossed two DO's in the oven to heat them up enough so the stuff would "melt" off and I could then simply wipe off most of the excess. Well, smoke alarms went off. House was full of smoke and it smelled like chit for days!! LOL! Had to run all the fans, etc to get the smoke out, etc.
I'm thinking you could prop the drums upside down over some cinder blocks and then hit the outside with a weedburner. That will heat them up enough for that stuff to liquify and drip off. A few hot applications all around with the burner should do it.

Unless the stuff comes off with soap and scrubbing. It sure as hell didn't on my DO's. Damn, I can almost smell the stuff all over again. My wife gave me grief for about a week cause of the smell. :-D

Otherwise, you scored some kick arse drums there!!

I noticed one other thing. Remove that plastic gasket in the lid. It will not hold up to heat.

@BobBrisket... man you had me laughing a good while. That story is classic. Thanks for the laugh.

So it sounds like a weed burner might be enough to do the trick?

@BobBrisket... man you had me laughing a good while. That story is classic. Thanks for the laugh.

So it sounds like a weed burner might be enough to do the trick?

If a standard burn wouldn't go over well with the neighbors, then I think a WB would do the trick. :becky:

Bob

Crap... I was hoping to all together avoid that by buying a new unlined drum! :rolleyes:

I ended up taking the DO's outside and then I set them over the burner from my turket fryer. I cranked up the burner and flipped and rotated them till the stuff had burned off. The big reason for wanting to remove it is because of the smell. Maybe some regular degreaser and some elbow grease might do the trick too. I can't comment for certain on it though.

Bob

This stuff doesn't seem very "waxy". I had to use a wire brush for that little spot to be rubbed off. Not knowing what the heck it is makes me a bit paranoid about the fumes that might come off it using a weed burner is my only concern.

The manufacturer could probably tell you what it is. Do you know what these drums were going to be used for originally? Don't sweat it, that stuff will come off pretty easy.

I bought them new from the manufacturer. They have never been used. They are just factory seconds because of poor paint and/or dings on the side. I can call and ask them what it is. They are pretty cool guys. But that would mean holding my build off until mid-week :sad:

They look pretty good to me but I would give them a test burn to see what happens. A lot of charcoal in a basket won't be a problem I'm thinking, if someone says anything you are BBQing,,,, :drama::thumb::clap2:

cosmoline?
Let me run next door to the local terrorists so I can smell one of their assault rifles and I'll let you know,,,, ROFLMAO!

(no insult intended) :becky:

Let me run next door to the local terrorists so I can smell one of their assault rifles and I'll let you know,,,, ROFLMAO!

(no insult intended) :becky:

You joke but with a first and last name like mine and my complexion you got to be careful about doing anything with steel drums, especially with fire in them!!! :mad2: I was worried about just bringing them home from the supplier!!! :laugh:

You joke but with a first and last name like mine and my complexion you got to be careful about doing anything with steel drums, especially with fire in them!!! :mad2: I was worried about just bringing them home from the supplier!!! :laugh:

You will get many more suggestions with a full days exposure to the thread. I'm sure someone has dealt with a drums like these before. Maybe even a good pressure wash will take care of that coating.:thumb:

Back