• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS and WSM

AClarke44

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I know I'm probably about to open a can of worms here but I'm curious about something. I don't own a WSM or a UDS but I'd like to own one soon. Anyway I'm wondering if there's really a difference in the two cookers. I know people are gonna swear one cooks better than the other but in the way they cook aren't they really the same? A 55 gallon UDS pretty much the same as a 22.5 WSM?? 30 gallon UDS and 18.5 WSM. ......
I'm really asking for an honest opinion because I truly don't know. If there's a major difference maybe that can be pointed out and I can decide if I want one over the other. I've been looking at either finding the time to build a UDS (which sounds cool) or hoping for a Craigslist steal on a WSM. I'm even looking at the option to find a 18.5 weber grill and convert it with a stock pot to a 18.5 WSM similar to what Fwismoker did with his Jimmy cooker.

OK so let's hear it......what's the difference? ?:biggrin1:

The people that own WSM's will swear by them and the people that own UDS's will swear by them. Both are vertical cookers with similar cooking qualities but WSM's are exactly the same while all UDS's are all built a little different with different charcoal baskets, air intake and exhaust which will vastly change how they cook.

If you don't want to make anything get the WSM if you do then you can make a great cooker out of a 55 gallon drum plus there's the mother of all UDS threads on here.

Some UDS people like the drippings to just drip to the fire others like them to perform like a WSM and put in a water pan or something to block the drippings.

Me personally wanted something that was not only different but proven and versatile so I got a drum kit from Big Poppa Smokers...It's set up to smoke but also easily grills and sears because the charcoal basket raises up. There's lots of different ways to cook with it so it's definitely worth checking out. https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/big-poppa-s-all-in-drum-kit-pack They have a basic kit too for 140

Now i'm gonna sit back and eat :popcorn: :biggrin1:

IMHO a UDS is easier to control/run stabilized temps, burns a lot longer on one load of fuel. Won't blow over in high winds. But the UDS you can build to what you want it to do, the WSM your going to be using it how Weber designed it. Both work, just different ways to get great food. And the UDS is cheaper for the most part. And like mentioned, I can grill at as high of temps as I want on a UDS.

I've never cooked on a wsm, but alot on the uds. I've looked at the wsm alot, running at comps and at lowes. I really can't see too much difference in the overall designs. I guess if I found a great deal on o wsm I would grab it, but if not you can build a uds for alot less. I've seen great que come out of both. Either way is a good way. Guess that didn't help much:tsk:

I've never cooked on a wsm, but alot on the uds. I've looked at the wsm alot, running at comps and at lowes. I really can't see too much difference in the overall designs. I guess if I found a great deal on o wsm I would grab it, but if not you can build a uds for alot less. I've seen great que come out of both. Either way is a good way. Guess that didn't help much:tsk:

I'm on the other side of the coin. Never cooked on a UDS but they look like they put out some killer BBQ.

I like the solid temp control with my 18.5 WSM and being able to go around 16 hours @ 250*F and the water option.

Not sure what the run time and how steady temp control is on a UDS.

Just my .02 and Good Luck on your decision. :thumb:

Fwi, how's your big poppa compare to the jumbo mini (jimmy) I like the idea of building my own wsm like that too!

Edit: sorry I accidentally said pit barrel meaning big poppa

I've cooked on both, even at the same time, and for me, they are pretty much identical from a functional standpoint. I doubt if someone set up both to cook to their preferences (water in the pan, temps, etc etc) you could tell which food came from which cooker.

Both will hold a rock solid temp, cook for hours, and put out killer q. Personally, I like my barrel, but only because I built it to be very versatile, and I like that. More options for more variables. You can't go wrong with either one. Both are great cookers

I've cooked on both, even at the same time, and for me, they are pretty much identical from a functional standpoint. I doubt if someone set up both to cook to their preferences (water in the pan, temps, etc etc) you could tell which food came from which cooker.

Both will hold a rock solid temp, cook for hours, and put out killer q. Personally, I like my barrel, but only because I built it to be very versatile, and I like that. More options for more variables. You can't go wrong with either one. Both are great cookers

Thanks! You said what I thought. I like the idea of building my own smoker but just not sure if I have time. Plus I wanna find a barrel that I trust to cook in and those are hard to come by where I live. Maybe a trip to Dallas one day......
But if a WSM pops up on Craigslist first...........You see my dilemma?

Thanks! You said what I thought. I like the idea of building my own smoker but just not sure if I have time. Plus I wanna find a barrel that I trust to cook in and those are hard to come by where I live. Maybe a trip to Dallas one day......

I'll see what barrels are available here if you decide to go that route. :thumb:

If you're on a barrel search, there's a UDS user group on Facebook. It's pretty large. You could post to that. They could probably help find you a local barrel.

Fwi, how's your big poppa compare to the jumbo mini (jimmy) I like the idea of building my own wsm like that too!

Edit: sorry I accidentally said pit barrel meaning big poppa

What's nice about the Jimmy is it's still a Jumbo Joe which is a great little grill and it smokes as good as anything else plus it sears seriously hot because the vent in the bottom on the joe.

If i'm cooking alot i'll go the BP or if I just want to grill or do some indirect cooking at the grilling/searing level. If I have smaller cooks I might go the Jimmy or if i want to cook at some higher than normal temps even though it can cook L&S also.

I'll say one thing about the jimmy that stainless pot really heavy duty and retains heat great.

The Jimmy cost just under 200 because i got the Jumbo Joe on clearance but you could still build one for 225ish if you paid regular price.

I'll see what barrels are available here if you decide to go that route. :thumb:

Thanks Mike! I'll let you know if I decide to go that route and if I'm gonna be in Shreveport.... I'd like to have a smoker by mid summer. I love my kettle for smoking but I feel I'm limited if I wanna do like 4 butts or a couple butts and some ribs.

If you're on a barrel search, there's a UDS user group on Facebook. It's pretty large. You could post to that. They could probably help find you a local barrel.

Well. ........I'm not a facebooker. I can't stand the social media stuff. I know that's funny since I'm on here but I feel this is limited and I can control it better :biggrin1:

As far as drum goes though I'd just find any open top drum with a good lid but try to find one without a liner if possible. If one held petroleum products a red hot burn will get rid of it all no problem. I started using a weed burner warming torch from Harbor Freight to do the burn....don't fry the lid or you might warp it.

After they're burned a wire brushing with a angle grinder will get it down to bare metal and it's just cleaning it up from there. My BP i took later to get powder coated which was awesome...well worth it.

I agree with this statement :-D

And Mrs. Howell for the win !!:loco:

Back