Franklin BBQ Holding Temps

chaostheory

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Im reading Franklins book now and I just read the part where he says they start pulling briskets off at 2am and hold until serve time at 11am. How the hell do his briskets not just turn to mush!!! The book may tell me later but I was just thinking about this topic this morning and wanted to see what you guys though.

I think being wrapped in butcher paper lets them breathe, stays perfectly moist, and retains the bark...

I am going to give the long hold tomorrow for about 5-6 hour wrapped in butcher paper and set in a cooler. We have done pork butt for 3 hours no problem.

Iv done briskets 4 hours wrapped in foul and two towels and the damn thing still burns your hands when you pick it up. but never 9 hours......

With a Cvap or Alto Sham you can dial in the temps to hold. I like 165. holds well, but does not further cook the product.

All day service BBQ is a different game from Home BBQ.

Places used to just throw them all together together in boxes. The heat from all the briskets would keep them hot overnight. The health department didn't care for that practice so most have warming ovens and keep them around 170. Keeping 1 brisket hot is probably a lot harder than keeping dozens hot.

I've held mine for 10-12 hours in the cooler before, on multiple occasions. Tender yes, but mush no. When I pull them, I let them cool to the 150-155 range. Close the foil, wrap in a heavy towel, stick them in the cooler and leave until I'm ready for them. Butts are good for about 6 hours doing that way.

Pretty much what Pitbull said, as long as you vent and stop the temperature climb, you can hold large hunks of meat for several hours in a non-active heat environment with little to no quality loss. With a CVAP or similar holding cabinet with active heat and humidity control, an all day hold is totally possible.

The guy I first learned about brisket cooking from, simply held his days meat in an old cooker heated in the morning to 165°F or so, the total amount of packers, butts and ribs in that thing kept everything right where it needed to be. Volume is your friend in that situation.

Yea i dont know about sitting that long, i dont buy that. Hes doing something that makes a long line, it aint sitting for 9 hrs though

He talks about it here starting around 5min

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMsZngYYRfE&feature=youtu.be&t=308"]Austin trip with Aaron Franklin - YouTube[/ame]

most of those places hold it longer than 9 hours. They are typically cooking today for the next day. trust me, a brisket is better with a little hold on it. Be it for a restaurant or comp. A good rest typically does the brisket good.

is it just me or did it look like they were taking briskets off the smoker already wrapped in foil?

Some looked like butts, some looked like maybe ribs, possibly briskets. There was a lot of foil wrapped stuff. To be honest though, it sounds like he does a lot of adjusting for what his cookers are doing, so I suspect he uses whatever tools are needed to get his meat cooked.

is it just me or did it look like they were taking briskets off the smoker already wrapped in foil?

His claim is brisket gets wrapped on paper, ribs and turkey in foil. I believe what he says, no secret just attention to details and quality meat.

Did you guy notice that at about half way through the video they started talking about and actor and a movie or something.........anyone get the name or the movie he is talking about??

There is place in Texas that holds for 48 hours and then puts them back in the smoker the day they sell them. It is at Kent Blacks in San Marcos. It is some of the best brisket I have ever had. I have not had franklins yet.

Did you guy notice that at about half way through the video they started talking about and actor and a movie or something.........anyone get the name or the movie he is talking about??

I think its John Favreau movie "Chef"

Back