Help me pick a new smoker

dmproske

Reaction score
I currently cook on a Klose 20x48 single door with 1/2" firebox. Back when I bought it people tried to talk me into going 24" with tuning plates but I didn't listen. So now I am looking to upgrade. I like for my pit to cook at the same temp across. A 24x48 tuned dead even across would give me plenty of room for what I want too cook. I am old school traditional so I want to stay with a stick burner. I want a pit that has the same build quality, quality materials, and heavy duty aspect of my Klose.

I am currently looking at Lonestar Grillz 24x48 offset and their 24x30 vertical offset. Also looking at Gator Pits 24x48. I have visited the Gator shop and will be visiting Lonestar this Thursday.

I have only used horizontal offset smokers. Other than space what would be the attraction to using the vertical offset. I am 6'4" and it still seems that using the upper racks on the vertical would be a challenge. Anyone here use the LSG vertical offset? What do the temps look like from top to bottom?

How does LSG build quality compare to Klose? Their fit and finish looks great. From their pics and videos looks like their fire grate is a thinner gauge than Klose. Also noticed they weld their door flange on the inside, and stitch weld it compared to Klose which is fully welded on the outside. I do however like that LSG has a 4 sided door flange compared to the Klose 3 sided. However Klose uses a interior "drip flange" on the top and bottom of the door.
Any thoughts?

LSG is a great choice especially the vertical offset. In my opinion LSG and Shirley Fabrication are 2 of the top builders out there. If you want an offset you should look at Shirleys Facebook page. They fully weld everything.

Other than space what would be the attraction to using the vertical offset. I am 6'4" and it still seems that using the upper racks on the vertical would be a challenge. Anyone here use the LSG vertical offset?

I have had a vertical offset on order from LSG since Jan/Feb, so hopefully it will be ready soon. I have limited space in my little smoke shack, so footprint was definitely a motivating factor in ordering a vertical offset. The other reason is that I have a bad shoulder and I felt the heavy door on a horizontal cooker might aggravate the problem. I'm also not sure my wife could lift a heavy door. As for using the top grates, I'm about 6' tall and I figure the top grate will be just about eye level for me. That's probably a little on the high side for comfort, but definitely not a deal breaker. I'm sure some of the other folks who already have vertical offsets will jump in and answer the rest of your questions. Good luck on your quest for a new cooker!

I have an LSG and I HIGHLY recommend them. Their quality is every bit what Klose is and you'll get a lot more for your money.
The pit comes with a heat deflector (baffle) and 3 tuning plates, so it hold's temps perfectly from top to bottom and from left to right. The vertical design is more efficient than a horizontal pit since heat is allowed to travel upward almost immediately from the firebox instead of having to travel sideways for several feet first, you'll achieve your cooking temps more quickly and you'll burn less fuel than you would with a comparable horizontal pit to maintain the temps. Another great plus for the vertical design is the capacity,... I can get up to 18 briskets on my pit and I have more cooking area than most trailer pits!:wink:
Here's what LSG built for me, the video is really for the warmer/oven but the pit that it's on is a duplicate of mine only my smoking chamber is 30" wide instead of 24"!:-D...
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGhSn4UkQ_k"]Warmer box for our Custom Offset Pipe Smokers by Lone Star Grillz - YouTube[/ame]

I'm in the exact same boat - trying to pick between a vertical or horizontal offset by LSG. I don't have space issues but from what I've been able to gather, the vertical gives you more cooking area and may even require less fuel. And OldBill's comment about temps being pretty even has me leaning towards a vertical model.

I was going to post on this thread and it got away from me and I forgot. Anyway, basically what the guys said above on the LSG vertical offset. Mine is also a 24x30 with an oven and I love it. If I were to go and do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing now that I have cooked on it and have experience with it. With the tuning plates I get dead even temps top to bottom and side to side. The configurations alone on these cookers are endless. Smoke, cold smoke, bake, grill, sear, do everything vertically or horizontally, cook in the main chamber or the oven and the list goes on. Reaching the top racks isn't really an issue and it's not that high up unless you're really short and at 6'4 you're safe:-D. Chris can also work with you and adjust the grates, cleareance depedning on how many you want, how high or low you want them etc.

Quality and customer service are second to none. I also HIGHLY recommend them. Good luck!

I did a pretty detailed thread on mine for folks that may be in the market for one since there really wasn't a whole lot of info available on them. Other than Oldbill of course.:grin:

Here's the link

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199899

ssv3 - wow, beautiful smoker.

I don't know enough about the science of thermodynamics etc, but with a vert you have heat rising and then exiting. And with a horizontal, you have more of a convection affect as the heat rises and falls as it crosses the cooking chamber. Again, I may be talking out of my arse.

Just wondering if things cook differently on one vs the other? Maybe I'm looking too far into this.

I really wanted to. I priced out cookers from each company in Houston. Klose was the most expensive by far. I am no longer a single man and have to think about such things nowadays. I like the classic styling of Klose the best, but the price, no external flange on top of the door put them off the list. I wanted to do everything exactly right this time as i dont think the wife will let me buy another smoker.

Just curious especially since you are in Houston why not go to Klose?

Thanks for the responses guys this helps. If everything goes well I am heading up north to the LSG shop in the morning with a notebook of questions for Chris. I hope he is a patient man. lol.

As oldbill said, you're getting alot more smoker for the money. Lone Star Grillz build quality is top notch, and their service is awesome.

I hope he is a patient man. lol.

I think you'll find Chris to be not only patient, but very personable. I have called him a few times with questions and/or minor changes since placing my order and he has always been very helpful.

After reading Sako's thread above and getting info from Bill and others, I went with the LSG vertical too. Been in queue since early March. Timers still ticking down. (That's Sako's pit, I stole the picture because mine is going to be very similar.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 128
Had a great expierence Thursday morning at the LSG shop. Talked to Chris for about an hour, and spent about as long with with Amber working up a couple quotes. One for a loaded out horizontal and another for a loaded out vertical offset. So as soon as I can decide between them and Gator Pit Ill be placing an order.

Cool!!! You'll be really happy with either one.:thumb:

Back