Ozark Oak going out of business?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Went to my local grocer to buy my usual 10 pound bag of Ozark Oak lump charcoal for $5 and there weren't any to buy. I spoke with the manager and she told me that they were going out of business.

I called Hasty Bake today (just got off the phone) and they said that they are looking for an alternative to Ozark Oak (they were supplying them). They are rationing their bags (to 5 a day) and charging $1 more than they used to at around $7.50 a bag. I told them about Naked Whiz's Lump Charcoal Database and they really appreciated the link because they were looking for a suitable replacement--although Ozark Oak is going to be hard to beat since it is ranked (by the readers) as the second best lump in the nation.

I got two pork butts in the fridge I need to barbecue, and it looks like I am going to have to buy some kingsford to do it, at horrible non-sale prices. :( Any suggestions on what I should get.. hate paying twice as much for kingsford when it's not on sale -- I usually stock up about 20 bags when it goes on sale.

Or I could just pay the $7.50 a bag :/

so its a $1 more for the stuff you like or buy stuff you dont like the price of

I think the choice is pretty simple

Been happy with Royal Oak lump from wallyworld but I try not to pour coal dust into the pit.

No, that is not what it means.

And I tend to use Cowboy Lump now

There are a lot of briquettes I would use before I bought Kingsford.
Royal Oak (Wal Mart), Royal Oak Chef's Select (DoIt Best), Embers (Re-branded Royal Oak Home Depot), Stubbs (Wal Mart), Coshell (Lowes), Rancher, Trader Joe's (Trader Joe's, Re-branded Rancher), just to name a few.
You can usually get RO Lump at Wal Mart or Menards too.
If I could get Ozark Oak here, I'd gladly pay a dollar a bag more too.

Lowes has kingsford 2 18.6 lbs bags on sale for $13. I have never had problems with kingsford, but do like the ridge charcoal you see at places that I have been told is all rebranded royal oak briquettes.

I recently tried Rockwood lump http://rockwoodcharcoal.com I have been really happy with the results, burns really clean, and hot. I think it has been rated really well in the lump database as well. You can buy online and they have a store locator on their page also.

FoGo lump has been outstanding for me.

Tremendous pieces that burn very consistently. My favorite lump on slow and low cooks.

SIUuu6D.png

oHO75E2.png

3s4NRQH.png

TGgx06u.png

RGboeG3.png

I've been paying $10.99 bag for Ozark Oak so $7.50 sounds real good.

Hate to hear that Ozark Oak has been bought out. I've been getting it for around $5.50/10lb at Harps for years. Hope they have a warehouse full someplace.

Hate to hear that Ozark Oak has been bought out. I've been getting it for around $5.50/10lb at Harps for years. Hope they have a warehouse full someplace.

Yeah it really is depressing. I'm in eastern oklahoma as well and am used to $5 a bag for premium lump!

Back