Lump Vs. Briquettes - smoke ?

juggs

Reaction score
do you get more smoke flavor using lump charcoal vs . Briquettes ? since I started using my UDS and lump , i seem to be getting alot smoke flavor in the Ribs and ev en pork butts. i have not tried briquettes yet . or am i using to much wood? usually put in 3 fist size chunks , which it does not burn all of them any way.
appreciate any advice , Cheers

juggs-to me, it seems that I get a "cleaner" burn from lump than I do briquettes. It seems that the wood flavor really comes through. However, I have much more control in temps with briqs.

I have used both, I prefer lump, but often use briqs for the control only. I suggest using both and develop your own opinion.

Less smoke with lump because it is so carbonized. Clean hot smokeless burn. Better tasting too I might add. Briqs often have so much additives and binder they give funky odors, chemical aftertaste and more ash and soot. Kingsford being up there with the worse. Although all natural briqs taste better than "k" burn longer, more consistant and easy to control temps and less hotspots for grilling. A mixture of Lump, briqs and chunks make some damn tasty and long lasting, and consistant for most people.

My last couple of runs, based on advice i read here, I have been using Kingsford briquettes for my "starter fire" but using lump when I need more fuel. Less smoke, and the smoke it does produce is cleaner smelling. I try to keep the smoke from the fuel to a minimum so that the flavor smoke (chunks, chips, etc) comes through better

We usually use about half lump and half K. Never noticed any off taste in any smoke we have done. Stays good and hot with the sump and gives some more consistancy with the K. Doesn't sound like too much wood but it is definately enough. Cut back a little and see if you like it better. Just a personal preference. Use what works out best for the way you like to cook. Good look bro!

I have used both briqs and lump, but in 2 different smokers. I agree with everyone else- briqs are definitely more consistent and easier to control the temp. Haven't noticed much of a difference in taste between the two but then again I am still relatively new to this.

Doesn't seem like too much wood to me. I use a little more than that myself, but my crowd likes the stronger wood flavors.

Try the briqs once with the same amount of smoke wood. If you're happy with the results, stick with them. You'll spend less time tending your fire.

Heard lots of good things about the Stubbs briquets, so I bought a bag last night and am using it for my shoulder as we speak. It lit up in the chimney really fast.

I have used KF more than not, but after picking up some Lump (RO) a few months ago, I been using it in my drum for long smokes, and have been pleased. Especially with the clean-up, next to no ash to worry about.

I have 2 WSM cookers. I have used both, but get a much longer burn with briquets. I like the natural briquetes like wicked good. But they are not the easiest to find. I just ordered a pallet that I am splitting it with some friends. I fired up a WSM last night at 8 pm and never had to add any charcoal. Meat is going in the hot box now for a 1 pm party.

I have used KF more than not, but after picking up some Lump (RO) a few months ago, I been using it in my drum for long smokes, and have been pleased. Especially with the clean-up, next to no ash to worry about.

Pretty much my story too. My drum seems to like lump over briquettes and the food that comes from my drum is better too with the lump. Flavor of a "wood fire" definitely comes through more.

Starts faster, for me its more consistent and cleaner burning and tasting.

Back