Hatch chilies?

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
We have a local store that every year about this times offers mild, or hot hatch chilies, either raw or roasted. In the past I have avoided them only because I really have no experience with using them. Cans someone please tell me what to do with them? I feel like I am missing out somehow.
Dave

Might want to try and dehydrate a few, grind them in a bullet. Endless possibilities for rubs and sauces.

Those may not be true Hatch chiles. We don't even have em coming out yet. Plus, if the store is using the Hatch name.....it's trademarked, CR, whatever you call it. Can't sell long green under the name unless it's from Hatch, NM.
Picking season is a few weeks away. If they say Hatch, they are Hatch Chiles. They fiercely defend the name. For many years, anaheims were sold as Hatch chile. So not the same. Get you some. Roasted is good, bit roasting your own is even better!

Sorry, didn't mean to come off so.....whatever, but Hatch chile is close to me and is good stuff!

Bob

I grew up in NM so we use it all the time.

a few staples:
You can use it as mixer with Chicken, Beef or Pork - Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas, Green Chile - Bell Pepper and Cheese stuffed Fatty, Smoked Pork Loin butterflied with Green Chilies, Green Chile Stew with smoked chicken, Mix it with ground beef for your tacos or burritos, I could go on and on.
You can use it to liven up side dishes - Green Chile Mashed Potatoes, Green Chile Sausage Stuffing, Green Chile Cream Cheese spread or pinwheels, Guacamole or queso dip.
You can use them like a Poblano or an Anaheim - Fire Roasted, Peeled or Stuffed, on a hamburger or chicken sandwich, with fajitas or to spice up a plain old meatloaf.

I like to fire roast them and then use a puree for marinades on steaks or as part of my pulled pork injection. It really has its own flavor profile and is super versatile.

Hatch Green Chile comes from a specific region of New Mexico known for the robust flavor and distinct bite. They could be generic "Green Chiles" from another region.

Those may not be true Hatch chiles. We don't even have em coming out yet. Plus, if the store is using the Hatch name.....it's trademarked, CR, whatever you call it. Can't sell long green under the name unless it's from Hatch, NM.
Picking season is a few weeks away. If they say Hatch, they are Hatch Chiles. They fiercely defend the name. For many years, anaheims were sold as Hatch chile. So not the same. Get you some. Roasted is good, bit roasting your own is even better!

Sorry, didn't mean to come off so.....whatever, but Hatch chile is close to me and is good stuff!

Bob

This was a pre announcement they would be at the store soon, I did not catch dates, got the impression it would be a week or two at least. I will be sure to look for the Hatch NM name when they come in, thanks for the heads up.
Dave

This was a pre announcement they would be at the store soon, I did not catch dates, got the impression it would be a week or two at least. I will be sure to look for the Hatch NM name when they come in, thanks for the heads up.
Dave

A few weeks sounds about right. A lot depends on the rain etc and if they can get into the fields to pick it. It's around the corner for sure. Get you some. You can do LOTS with it. I'm sure the plants are loaded with peppers. Nice experience to go out there and pick em fresh off the plant. Enjoy em and get some. :thumb:

I have not used Hatch or other peppers, except jalapenos, which I like to roast almost every time I grill something so I have them on hand. I don't peal them, just split them open and put them on a hamburger or pulled pork sandwich seed and all. I sometimes chop them up and put in other things like scrambled eggs.
Dave

A lot will depend on the type of pepper and what farm it came from. Some plant different varieties and pick em and put em all in the same sack or box. You will get one huge pepper with little heat and then some smaller, thinner walled pepper and it's fire! Roasted long green can be used just the way you use jalapeños, but if you get a whole lot more meat from one pepper vs one jalapeño. Great for salsa, on pizza, and heavenly in lasagne! I think it even cures baldness! :-D

That area has gotten some heavy rain. They won't pick till the ground dries a bit for foot and truck traffic. I'm thinking in the next two or so weeks.

Love the Hatch!

Most any mexican recipe that calls for green chiles can use hatch chiles. Personally, I like them on chicken enchiladas, chicken tamales, chicharron en salsa verde, carnitas en salsa verde.

Green chili is a must. Here is a simple recipe:
Chunks of pork shoulder or country style ribs. Sauté in olive oil. Sweat onion. Chop chiles and add with garlic. Mix in flour to make a reax. Add chicken broth and water. Cumin and Mexican oregano next with a tiny bit if tomato sauce.

Ladle over burritos, eggs, or rice. Eat plain with a tortilla.

Good not great. Someone must have a great recipe on here!

I also make fresh green chile sausage with it. Oh man. Worth buying a grinder and stuffer. And tamales! Thanks Goyo! Can't forget those.

roasted peeled and placed on a cheeseburger. /thread

2e1rvr5.jpg

:clap2:

does not cure baldness...........

WKCNorcalMeetMay2014-39.jpg

but.................

LastSunAug2012086.jpg

makes a monster 'Turd......

LastSunAug2012033.jpg

LastSunAug2012070.jpg

There's a grocery chain here that gets them from Hatch for the last few years.....I'm happy....one of the best flavored chiles around....

'Turds, any & all of the things listed above,sometimes I roast 'em, sweat 'em in a paper bag to loosen the skin, scrape all the innards out & use as the slurry for fresh salsa.....also added to tater packets.....

10-8-13PTampBrisket002.jpg

really, really good !!!

The skin can cook up a little papery sometimes, other than that, my favorite.....not like anything else..........:wink:

Anything you cook on the stove, in the oven, on the grill or in the microwave add green chile. Seriously.

Back