Options

smokerpa

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
First, thank you for all those who may answer this question. I appreciate any insight one has on this subject matter.

A couple of weeks back, I was asked to cook at a wedding and for several parties coming up. I'm still on the fence about doing this, but if I did, it would be legit.

You will see in my signature what I cook on, and in the picture.

With that being said, I talked with the local health inspector. He seems like the most laid back guy I ever talked to and told me he would help me in anyway possible to get established in his region. His region is not huge, but it is in where I live. I am use to talking to people from the state, or representing the state and things don't normally go as smoothly right out of the gate as this conversation did. He told me that after getting the managers ServSafe certificate and a place to operate out of, he would come by and sign off as long as all my paperwork was correct for my business. He said there wouldn't be any surprises and he gave me his cell number on top of it.

I have three options to go with. One is cook through a bar/restaurant that he said would be ideal for him to go through. Another is a catering company that has nothing to do with BBQ, but I know through a close business partner. Another is a local commissary that charges by the hour and is about 1/2 hour from where I am.

The only dilemma with the last two, is that they are not in this guys region. If you were me, would you stay in this guys region since he seems so inclined to help? Also, what would be good terms to negotiate. By the hour flat rate, or % of profit?

I'm still in my investigative phase and I'm still not sure if I will go through with it. But at this time, I have some hard numbers to look at and everything is low risk at this point in time.

One of my thoughts if I stay with the local bar/restaurant, is to use them as a base to cook one day out of the week to expand my name recognition. They are also heavily involved in the community, which is a big deal for me.

Anything else that one could think to offer would be greatly appreciated.

For what your wanting to do, there's no reason to even be involved with the H.D.
Private catering doesn't require any licensing. Just some common sense.
If you work out of the bar, your using their already licensed kitchen. If you work out of a commissary (which is my reco) it too is already licensed. Working out of a comm will give you the ability to do anything you want including vending and catering.
I would expect to pay $1500 a month for use of a comm and that includes some cold storage space.
Good luck!

The biggest issue I see with sharing with a restaurant, well, there are two really. One is cold storage space, that is pretty important, and restaurants rarely have enough for themselves.

Two, will be the odd times when you both need prep space and they are open. That can happen and will be an issue.

Commisary space is normally by the hour, and that is preferable.

Landarc, question back to you.

Is there a reason that I could not buy the product the day before or morning of? I'm just curious if I would need to take up a large footprint in the restaurant idea. One of the other problems I thought with this idea is competing foods. Their menu and mine. If mine became more desirable, then that would create a problem for the owner theoretically. We have a special commissary place that is 30 minutes away as I said previously, and they charge $20 an hour.

BBQ Bubba, if I did these parties and was paid to do them, would that not create a slight problem? Say someone got sick and believed it was from my product, they have the right to sue me and I have no liability. With the wedding, I only know the groom. I don't know the other 150 people. Can you explain your position a little better? I would love any information you could provide me with.

Liability insurance is a must. That's the common sense part I mentioned. ;)
Still has nothing to do with the H.D.

There are a couple of reasons buying ahead makes sense.

one, is that by buying in commercial quantities and being able to hold the meat, you benefit from having been able to buy case lots versus buying only a few butts or briskets when you need them.

two, is that you know you have the meat you need ahead of time. If you try and secure small amounts of meat just in time, you run the risk of not having the desired product when you need it.

I understand both of you. Thanks for the information. I greatly appreciate it.

Health Dept in Hawaii overseas catering too and even temp food establishments.

In Kansas the HD is involved with ANY food product cooked for public consumption which includes Vending, Catering, Personal Chef, etc. This especially applies to "potentially dangerous foods" such as cooked meats, etc.

Be sure to check your State and Local Regs. They differ from State to State. It is best to know these requirements up front.

Back